Manx Advocate and qualified Notary Public Gillian’s practice focuses on corporate and commercial litigation, as well as employment matters. She advises a range of domestic and international clients. Gillian also advises on professional negligence, enforcement and insolvency proceedings, public inquiries and trust disputes.
Gillian is Honorary Legal Advisor to both the International Island Games Association and the Commonwealth Games Association of the Isle of Man.
I have worked with Gill for over 3 years now. Her approach was very professional and direct, which made it easy to get to the issues that needed quick responses. Gill has managed to get a huge amount of evidence together whilst also trying to bring each case to a speedy conclusion.
Director, Kaizen Professional Limited
Gill's breadth of knowledge is outstanding and her ability to pick a simple solution in a cost effective and time efficient manner is of great benefit to us. She is pro-active in her approach and available to assist no matter what deadline she is faced with. Gill’s understanding of our sector is second to none and she is most certainly our “go to” lawyer. Keystone’s approach to breaking the mould of a traditional law practice is to be applauded and one that sits very well with the speed with which we sometimes need to react.
Managing Director, Knox House Trust Limited
Gillian offered pragmatic, practical advice and cut through the “peripheral” issues to the heart of the dispute. She was swift to respond to any queries and gave clear and succinct direction on responses. I found her exceptionally easy to work with, extremely professional, accessible and with a keen sense of humour which we needed in this matter.
Sarah Ingrassia TEP ACMI
Director, Boston Limited
Gill has assisted me on a number of liquidation matters primarily linked to Regulated businesses. Her knowledge and experience not only on Company Law but also the Regulatory aspects of those assignments has been invaluable. Always willing to take the call, Gill offers a calm and considered approach to her profession and the guidance which she offers.
Director, Browne Craine & Co
Gill has assisted us with various corporate litigation, trust and employment law issues over the last 18 months. She is extremely approachable and is always on hand to help. She has had to deal with many difficult tasks and has provided quality advice within a quick time frame. We would always recommend Gill to our clients and we will always continue to engage her.
Rachael Wolfendale MAAT ACA
CSP Manager, Bridgewater (IOM) Limited
A wealth of knowledge and provides clear guidance; her strengths are her professionalism and solution-driven approach to the most difficult problem
Legal 500 2017
A go-to lawyer, who is always available and delivers what clients require
Legal 500 2017
Gillian Christian is an outstanding lawyer who has steered us through a multitude of complex legal disputes using her wealth of knowledge, pragmatism and formidable presence in open court.
Mann Made Group
Gillian is a "go to" trusted advisor on all trust and estate related matters. She is extremely approachable whilst always maintaining the highest levels of professionalism and integrity. I would not hesitate to recommend her to others.
Knox House Trust Limited
Couldn't ask for a better, more approachable and knowledgeable Advocate. Always my first choice!
Knox House Trust Limited
I have appointed Gillian to look after a number of our legal requirements in 2017 & 2018 as well as recommending her to a number of friends and clients. I have received a prompt, professional service with excellent results. I like her common sense approach which is refreshing and I've been left with a clear understanding as to the likely outcome of each case and her advice has proved very invaluable in my decision making process, which has saved me time and money and got us to a conclusion quickly. A rarity in the legal world and I will continue to use her for all our legal work moving forward.
Excellent Service. Personable and efficient. Highly recommended
I have worked with Gillian over the last two years and she has always been reliable, informative and able to help strategise our various legal issues. I have no issue in thoroughly recommending her services.
Mann Made Group Limited
Gill always provides clear and concise advice. She is commercial in her approach and always makes time for her clients.
Gill always provides sound, commercial advice in a professional manner but with a personal touch. Gill is a pleasure to deal with and really is breaking down some of the stereotypes associated with the old school stuffy lawyer. As a business we engage Gill on a regular basis across a variety of matters and issues and I cannot speak highly enough of her or the advice and support she provides.
Knox House Trust Limited
Gill has provided an excellent service to our firm for the past two and half years and this award would be a justified recognition of her contribution to assisting our clients.
Kresotn IOM Limited
- Dispute Resolution
- Commercial Contracts
- Professional Negligence Claims
- Trust Disputes
- Employment law
- AB v CD  – Acted for the successful Claimant in the first decision in the Isle of Man courts on the Hastings-Bass principle and on the law relating to relief for equitable mistake following its reformulation by the UK Supreme Court in Pitt v Holt. Also dealt with considerations of the need to protect the identity of the settlor, the trustee and the beneficiaries where private family trusts are involved.
- Oliver & Oths v Fedelta Trustees  – Acted for the successful Claimant in obtaining relief for equitable mistake. This case also confirmed for the first time on the Isle of Man that the UK’s Supreme court case of Pitt v Holt forms part of Isle of Man law. Pitt v Holt clarified the law of mistake and considerations of public policy and introduced a requirement that the Claimant must show that is would be unconscionable to allow the mistake not to be reversed.
- Mr AH v (1) Greyco Limited and (2) ABC Trust Company Limited  – Acted for the successful Defendant in defending an application sought by the applicant for the disclosure of trust documents from the Court. The Defendant opposed the application on confidentiality grounds.
- Hafner v H.M. Attorney General and the Australian Securities and Investment Commission and Others – Acted for the Australian Securities and Investment Commission in relation to requests for information and numerous subsequent judicial review proceedings. Also represented the Australian Securities and Investment Commission in related litigation involving Rene Rivkin and Trevor Kennedy.
- LM Moore & OTR v SV Company Limited, Soyuz Victan Group Limited & others – Successfully acted on behalf of the world’s second-largest producer of vodka in discharging a receivership order.
- Barlow Clowes International Ltd v Henwood – Defended charging order proceedings in the sum of £11 million brought by the receivers of Barlow Clowes.
- Petrodel Resources Limited v Le Breton – Acted for the Respondent in successfully defending various appeals brought by Petrodel Resources Limited in the course of proceedings involving registration of judgments, applications to set aside orders for service out of the jurisdiction and winding up proceedings.
- MK Investments and MK Aircraft Leasing – Acted for the Petitioners (as Administrators of MK Investments Limited and MK Aircraft Leasing Limited appointed under the Insolvency Act 1986) in a successful application to the court for recognition in the Isle of Man of their appointment as administrators under the English Insolvency Act 1986.
- In the matter of the Petition of Skyland Investments Limited (in Receivership) – Acted for the Receivers of Skyland Investments Ltd in a successful application where the court ruled that in order to register a caveat against a property a creditor required evidence of an actual interest in the property.
- Obertor Limited and Gaetano Limited – Acted for Gaetano Limited in successful litigation that determined that a foreign judgment creditor did not need to take steps to register such judgment in the Isle of Man if attempting to utilise the winding-up procedure based upon non-payment of a statutory demand. The Isle of Man court also determined that a purposive and not a literal approach is the method of statutory construction that now prevails.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised in Chambers UK 2022 for Offshore: Dispute Resolution
“Gillian is an excellent lawyer; she understands the practicalities of a problem as well as the legal issues.” Chambers UK 2022
“Gillian was so professional and extremely well informed.” Chambers UK 2022
Recognised as a Leading Individual by The Legal 500 2022 for Isle of Man: Dispute Resolution
Recognised by The Legal 500 2022 for Isle of Man: Employment
“The Keystone team are all very approachable and easy to work with. Gill Christian in particular makes herself available to support us and always delivers in a timely manner on a cost effective basis.” The Legal 500 2022
“I have worked with Gillian Christian on a number of contentious matters over many years. Gill has always impressed me with her sensible and pragmatic approach to problems. Gill cares about clients and their issues and she gives sound, practical advice. Gill is excellent and I would always go to her first with any contentious legal matters.” The Legal 500 2022
Listed as a Recognised Practitioner in Chambers UK 2021 for Offshore: Dispute Resolution
“Gillian is incredibly proactive, she delivers her advice in a modern and clear way, and she always works to find a solution.” Chambers UK 2021
“She is extremely knowledgeable.” Chambers UK 2021
Recognised by the Legal 500 2021 as a Leading Individual for Isle of Man: Dispute Resolution
Recognised by the Legal 500 2021 for Employment
Gillian Christian advises clients on domestic and international disputes covering commercial and insolvency litigation. A market source says that “she’s a very good lawyer who is very good on her feet,” while clients add that “she is commercial and prompt with her advice.” Chambers UK 2020
Listed as a Recognised Practitioner in Chambers UK 2020 for Offshore: Employment
Recognised by the Legal 500 2020 as a Leading Individual for Isle of Man: Dispute Resolution
Recognised by the Legal 500 2020 for Employment
“Gillian Christian provides exceptional advice and assistance. She is proactive and client focused, approachable and reassuring.” Legal 500 2020
“Gillian Christian is always incredibly commercial and proactive in her approach across a broad range of areas and is always able to provide sensible, succinct and commercial advice in a timely manner.” Legal 500 2020
Shortlisted as Woman of the Year – Professional Services for Citywealth’s Powerwomen Awards 2020
Gillian Christian of Keystone Law is “a real fighter who you want on your side,” according to clients, who add: “She is extremely professional and totally understanding of our business needs.” She is regularly called upon by liquidators, among other clients, and handles commercial disputes, freezing orders and asset recovery. Chambers UK 2019
Recognised by the Legal 500 as a Leading Individual for Isle of Man: Dispute Resolution
“An outstanding lawyer” Legal 500 2018
“Regularly uses her wealth of knowledge, pragmatism and formidable presence in court” Legal 500 2018
“Steers them through complex legal disputes” Legal 500 2018
Recognised by the Legal 500 2018 for Isle of Man: Employment
Included in Citywealth’s International Financial Centre, Powerwomen Top 200 list for 2018
Recognised by Best Lawyers (UK) 2019 in the practice area of Litigation
Gillian Christian is a recognised practitioner by Chambers UK 2018
Gillian Christian of Keystone Law handles commercial and chancery litigation and professional negligence cases. Sources say she is a “determined, talented, effective and hard-working litigator”. Chambers UK 2018
Gillian Christian is named as a leading individual for Dispute Resolution in Legal 500 2017. “A wealth of knowledge and provides clear guidance; her strengths are her professionalism and solution-driven approach to the most difficult problem”
Gillian is recognised by the Legal 500 2017 for Employment. “A go-to lawyer, who is always available and delivers what clients require”
Recognised as one ‘to watch’ in Chambers and Partners 2016
Recognised as ‘well-regarded’ in Legal 500 2015
Director, Isle of Man Football Association
Gillian qualified as a Manx Advocate in 2004. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2016, she worked at the following firms:
- Appleby Global