Aaron is a Chartered Trade Mark Attorney, Irish Trade Mark Attorney and a European Trade Mark and Design Attorney. He is also one of a handful of trade mark attorneys to have the same rights of audience as a barrister to take an IP dispute before the UK courts.
He works with businesses, helping them to get the most out of their brands, designs and copyright. Aaron also assists businesses with identifying their most important tangible assets, to identify what should be protected and how they can be used to maximise income and bring value to the business.
Aaron also deals with IP disputes, and has appeared in a number of cases before the UK’s specialist IP Court (IPEC) and the High Court. Over the last 10 years he has been amongst the top 10 advocates in the UK Intellectual Property Office for trade mark disputes (by number of appearances), and as well as being instructed by brand owners is also instructed by a number of major UK firms to handle the most difficult IP disputes on their behalf on a “white label” basis.
Aaron has in-depth experience in the clothing, food and drink, and media/entertainment industries as a result of working in-house at both Unilever and BBC Worldwide during his career, of acting for a range of apparel clients and of being a co-director of a business in the bridal sector.
Aaron is on the executive council of the Chartered Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys (serving as the chair of its Education Policy and Development Committee), is a contributor to the profession’s Handbook on Trade Mark Practice and is a regular writer and speaker on legal developments.
Outside of law, Aaron performed as a stand-up comedian for some time alongside his legal practice, but now limits his involvement to watching others.
Aaron is regulated by the Intellectual Property Regulation Board in his work as a Chartered Trade Mark Attorney.
I've worked with Aaron a few times now in relation to UK trademark applications, particularly where they have become contentious. I have found Aaron to be extremely helpful and prompt in replying to emails/calls. I'll continue to use his services and would encourage anyone else in such matters to do the same.
Solicitor, Flint Bishop, UK
Aaron has always been very quick to help us. The initial contact was through a recommendation and I understand why he came so highly recommended! I have worked with a number of lawyers but the level of detail and business understanding presented by Aaron cannot be compared with other firms. I am also kept up to date about billing and any additional expenses. Previous lawyers have landed me a bill for an additional 50% of agreed fees because the project has taken longer than they expected but haven't communicated this to me, their client. A bit of a shock and short-sighted. Aaron ensures billing is clear for all concerned and delivers a professional service throughout.
Busylizzymum Limited, UK
Aaron is great trade mark attorney. He is very knowledgeable on trade marks, but at the same time also very business-driven. And apart from that, he is a very nice person.
Partner, Ploum Lodder Princen, Netherlands
As a client, Aaron has always given excellent advice, has the ability to adapt quickly to clients’ particular needs and responds effectively to urgent requests. He is always willing to help and provides excellent results. I have very much enjoyed working with Aaron; it has been a valuable learning experience.
Paralegal, Bacardi & Company, Switzerland
- Trade mark and design law
- Brand clearance
- Brand migration
- Trade mark Infringement
- Design infringement
- Trade mark prosecution
- Passing off
- Copyright infringement
- IP strategy
- Acted for a major US carrier in relation to brand protection, including successfully bringing actions to protect against the adoption of similar names by rival airlines in the EU.
- Acted for dnata in relation to brand protection in the EU for its ground handling services.
- Assisted with brand protection for a start-up brand in the luxury/chartered aviation sector.
- Managed the Unilever food trademark portfolio consisting of over 80,000 marks including marks for Flora, Walls, Magnum and Pot Noodle.
- Provided trade mark and design portfolio management services for Bacardi & Company involving the full range of clearance, filing, prosecution and enforcement work with particular responsibility for the GREY GOOSE and MARTINI portfolios and dealing with lookalikes, similar brands and bottle designs.
- Provided brand clearance and protection to various start-up and emerging food and beverage brands such as KABUTO noodles, OGGS, BELGROVE rum, OATLY, LIQ, RAW HALO chocolate, TOAST beer, FIX8 kombucha and others.
- Successfully brought an action for major sports supplement company KBF Enterprises (Bodybuilding Warehouse) in relation to the infringement of its WARRIOR brand of sports supplements.
- Acted for a national meat body in relation to a dispute about its certification mark.
- Successfully defended a multinational vegan restaurant brand against a challenge by a third-party brand.
- Acted in an action involving a major hotel group in relation to the cancellation of trade marks due to non-use.
- Acted for a start-up in relation to its new leisure park complex.
- Brand clearance for a major leisure company in relation to the naming of new rides at one of its amusement parks.
- Provided brand clearance work to a major global foodservice company in relation to the names of one of its brands’ meal offers.
- Worked as a consultant to BBC Worldwide dealing with intellectual property relating to their key properties, including TOP GEAR, STRICTLY.., WALKING WITH DINOSAURS and DOCTOR WHO.
- Provided ad hoc advice to Fremantle Media in relation to programme naming and naming disputes.
- Provided assistance in relation to online/bricks and mortar infringement and border detention work for a US-based global entertainment company.
- Assisted UK tv channel Together TV in relation to a naming dispute.
- Assisted tv production company Naked Entertainment with programme naming.
- Brought actions against a major graffiti artist in relation to alleged invalidity of his attempts at trade mark protection.
- Successfully dealt with disputes relating to brand ownership for SOUL TRAIN RECORDS and a leading reggae sound system.
- Acted for clothing brands such as RALPH LAUREN, FRAME, SUPERDRY and street brand 304 in relation to brand protection, design clearance and brand and design disputes.
- Acted for a party seeking to relaunch a heritage brand, successfully defending them against Asprey & Co.
- Acted for bespoke tailor David Mason in a dispute against J & J Crombie relating to the brand TOMMY NUTTER.
- Provided advice in relation to product design infringement for leading luxury and footwear brands.
- Acted for a menswear brand in relation to a dispute with a specialist sportswear brand seeking to extend into general leisurewear.
- Provided advertising and slogan clearance for one of the world’s leading high-end department stores.
- Advised Premiership football clubs on trade mark protection.
- Advised a leading FMCG on potential breaches of sponsorship agreement by reason of breach of “behaviour” clauses and launch of adjacent product ranges.
- Provided advice on protection for sportspeople in relation to their overall brand to underpin sponsorship and image rights agreements.
- Acted for a sports club in relation to a dispute over the ownership to the copyright in its logo.
- Advised a clothing company in relation to the use of indicia of the national rugby associations around the Six Nations.
- Assisted a national sporting body with regard to a long-running and business-critical dispute with the sport’s commercial entity.
- Provided trade mark portfolio services for one of the world’s major gaming software companies.
- Advised one of the arms of one of the world’s major advertising agency networks in relation in relation to its advertising work for luxury clients.
- Advised a number of naming agencies in relation to their naming projects for clients.
- Advised and acted in an almost 10-year multinational dispute between a national government and a private company with regard to a heritage automotive brand.
- Provided advice to numerous tech start-ups with regard to brand protection and underlying intellectual property, both inherently and with a view to investment rounds.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised by IP Stars as a Trade mark star 2020 in the area of trade mark office proceedings
Recognised in WTR 1000 2020 for trade mark enforcement and litigation
Aaron qualified as a Chartered Trade Mark Attorney in 2007. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2019, he worked at the following firms:
- Wood IP
- Simmons & Simmons