Alexander has over 30 years of experience as an intellectual property lawyer and has appeared as the lead advisor for a number of seminal technology, IP and commercial court cases. His main area of expertise involves resolving complex technology and IP disputes and advising on the closure of complicated commercial agreements. As a litigator, Alexander has an excellent history of resolving cases involving sophisticated technology, digital, IP and competition law.
Alexander is also experienced in dealing with cross-border cases involving multiple jurisdictions.Alexander is a trusted advisor to companies from a range of market sectors including the digital technologies, software, life science, insurance, manufacturing, FinTech, creative and fashion industries. He also regularly advises entrepreneurs, celebrities and politicians.
- Complex commercial disputes
- Joint ventures
- Intellectual property rights
- Lead advisor Judicial Review for Football Club in relation to state aid High Court and Court of Appeal.
- International Licensing for major lingerie brand (global license).
- Global Franchise model for digital management of food distribution and roll-out for major retail brand.
- International licensing/Middle East for Luxury Shoe Brand.
- Portfolio management for multi-company/investment major family office.
- High Court action for unpaid fees for major art dealer.
- Created document suite for new platform for creation of art provenance and authentication.
- Trade mark portfolio management for a major retail business.
- Leading cases Reed Elsevier v Read Employment (use of trade marks on the Internet).
- Design law actions in the fashion field e.g. Guild v Nabavi.
- Advised a major industrial plant installation company on the creation of interfaces for interoperability and maintenance of computer-controlled machinery and robotics.
- Advised a high profile South American entrepreneur in relation to libel claim against UK newspapers.
- Advised on new crypto currencies particularly Stable Tokens.
- Advised a new business of the model appropriate to provenance of Art Work and the use of blockchain technology.
- Advised on regulation of ICO/ITO’s terms of issue, and liability for wallets and cold storage.
- SAAS distribution/access agreements for software house(s).
- Advised on the regulation of Crypto Token Offerings.
- Creation of suite of digital contracts and governance protocols for a crypto business.
- Advising crypto exchanges on trading regulation.
- Advised a US company in relation to alleged underpayment of royalties/licensing fees/pre-litigation.
- Advised aero manufacturer on exit from investment agreement and co-venture with Chinese investor, including strategic advice on potential dispute/resolution with existing investor.
- Advised tobacco company on impact of plain packaging regulations (brand).
- Advised data provider in respect of implication of sanctions on provision of data.
- Lead advisor production agreement/dispute first documentary produced for Apple music platform.
- Advised on the creation of patent portfolio for new injectable device including assisting with business model, structure of patent portfolio and licensing strategy from conception to sale (3 years).
- Lead Advisor to World Programming in UK/US litigation for infringement of copyright in software public policy and interaction with contract law including reference to the CJEU relating to copyright in computer language/compilers/including CJEU.
- Lead advisor in England in relation to conflict of laws and refusal by the UK courts to recognise US judgments on grounds of public policy and abuse of process.
- Lead English law Advisor for US Federal Court trial for breach of clickwrap license/copyright infringement in the software space including appeals and working with leading US supreme court advocates on petition to US Supreme Court.
- Co-venture/Co-development agreements in respect of digital technologies (numerous).
- Advised on claims by major software house in relation to unlawful redistribution of software.
- Advised an artist on collaboration agreement with major telephone and hardware provider.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Alexander is “an extremely shrewd strategist” and noted for his “depth of experience and the quality of his advice.” Chambers UK 2017
Alexander qualified as a solicitor in 1984. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2019, he worked at the following firms:
- Brown Rudnick
- Speechly Bircham
- DJ Freeman