Alistair is a seasoned adviser to individuals and businesses on the full spectrum of work-related issues.
On the individual side he has long experience of working for senior executives in disputes with banks, hedge funds, asset managers, private equity houses and insurers. He gets optimal results for employees, partners and LLP members in law and accountancy practices. His work is not limited to the City: he has achieved successful outcomes for tech entrepreneurs, developers, advertisers, fashion designers and retailers, actors and dancers.
On the business side, Alistair advises employers in a broad range of sectors on all manner of workplace matters. Primarily his work for business is non-contentious: drafting and advising on contracts, policies and putting in place structures to avoid Tribunal.
- Severance negotiations
- Bonus and contractual disputes
- Maternity and paternity issues
- Discrimination and harassment
- Restrictive covenants/post-termination restrictions
- Disciplinary and grievance procedures
- Service agreements
- Remuneration terms
- Personal injury (occupational)
- Employment litigation
95% of clients who come to Alistair view absolute confidentiality of the outcome as a key item on their wish lists; accordingly, his clients’ names stay out of the public domain save where they wish it. Of necessity, the below examples are anonymised.
- Acted for desk-head inter-dealer broker for whistleblowing as well as multiple strands of discrimination: race and sexual orientation (secured seven-figure settlement).
- Fought the CEO of an international bank’s personal injury and disability complaints, achieving a very favourable exit package.
- Navigated smooth exits for a group of senior LLP members at a big-four accountancy firm, avoiding expensive litigation and the enforcement of aggressive post-termination restrictions.
- Advised a professional dancer in his discrimination complaints against a world-famous London company and its artistic director.
- Defended a recruitment agency in a High Court action against attempts to prevent it trading; resisted action to enforce restrictive covenants against the founders of the agency. The business survived and thrives.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised in Chambers UK 2022 for Employment: Senior Executives
“He is super responsive, really good with clients and does an excellent job.” Chambers UK 2022
“I appreciate how Alistair manages expectations and strives to reach the best outcome.” Chambers UK 2022
Recognised by The Legal 500 2022 for Employment: Senior Executives
“I appreciate how Alistair French manages expectations and strives to reach a best case outcome. I have recommended Alistair and Keystone to colleagues on multiple occasions.” The Legal 500 2022
Recognised in the Spear’s 2021 Employment Lawyers Index as a Top Recommended Lawyer
Recognised in Spear’s 500 2021 as a Top Recommended Employment Lawyer
Recognised in Chambers UK 2021 for Employment: Senior Executives
“He’s really fantastic and very responsive.” Chambers UK 2021
“He’s a clever and dynamic individual.” Chambers UK 2021
Recommended in The Legal 500 2021 in Employment: Employers and Senior Executives
“Alistair French is charming and highly committed to his clients. He is a well-liked figure in the employment law community.” The Legal 500 2021
“The already strong Keystone team has been further strengthened by the astute recruitment of a true superstar of the London employment law circuit, Alistair French. Alistair would be my first choice if I personally had a serious employment dispute. Alistair’s natural, disarming charm beautifully complements a tactical acumen and employment law knowledge that is second to none. A true champion for senior executives who have run into trouble with their employer or colleagues.” The Legal 500 2021
Alistair French is recommended as “a particularly good strategist who is astute and focused” by a client, who adds: “He’s a creative forward thinker and is highly pragmatic.” He offers notable expertise advising senior executives on complex exit agreements. Chambers UK 2020
Recommended in The Legal 500 2019 in Employment: Employers and Senior Executives
Ranked in the top 20 London employment lawyers in Chambers UK 2019 for Employment: Senior Executive – London (Firms)
“A great strategist” and “a financial services sector specialist” The Legal 500 2019
“Very compassionate and painfully clever. He goes above and beyond while communicating in an excellently technical but human way.” Chambers UK 2019
Alistair qualified as a solicitor in 2005. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2019, he worked at the following firms:
- Stewarts Law
- Travers Smith
- Clifford Chance