Andrew is a consultant in Keystone’s employment team and has over 30 years’ experience in acting for employers in the SME sector as well as senior employees and executives in both contentious and non-contentious employment areas. He has undertaken both High Court and Employment Tribunal work and has considerable mediation experience.
Andrew is a member of the Employment Lawyers’ Association and a regular author in HR and employment publication. He also regularly hosts and presents seminars and in-house training for clients on topics such as contractual terms, redundancy, discrimination, unfair dismissals, disciplinary and grievances.
We have worked with Andrew, for a number of years regarding employment law. Whilst we have our own ‘in house' HR resource we do rely on specialist advice to ensure that best practice is followed and we are up to date with current legislation. The advice provided is valuable, timely and has proved to be cost effective when everything is done right the first time.
Finance Director, Aura Graphics Limited
- Unfair dismissal and redundancy(first advocacy Tribunal case in 1980)
- Discrimination, harassment andvictimisation
- Termination advice for bothemployers and employees
- Disciplinary and grievance issues
- Restrictive covenant enforceability
- Confidentiality issues
- Employment Tribunal and appealadvice
- High Court and County Courtlitigation advice
- Breach of contract claims includingwrongful dismissal, constructive dismissal and bonus/commission claims
- Employment contracts, serviceagreements and Company policies and handbooks
- Settlement agreements
- TUPE advice and related documentwork
- Self-employed/IR 35 issues
- Redundancy planning and consultation
- Managing stress at work issues
- Acted for Appellant in reported Court of Appeal race discrimination case of De Souza v Automobile Association.
- Achieved a high six-figure settlement of age discrimination claims during mediation for the managing director of a multinational company.
- Acted for a number of teachers in the private-school sector on race discrimination, unfair dismissal and redundancy, and misrepresentation issues relating to references involving both contentious and non-contentious advice work.
- Advised Henley College on disability claims brought by a pupil.
- Defended an IT company and an individual director in sex discrimination claims which were struck out and now dealing with appeal to the EAT.
- Acted for a senior executive of an IT company on an age discrimination claim succeeding in obtaining a high six figure settlement via mediation.
- Advised a leading IT company on TUPE and outsourcing agreements.
- Dealt with the TUPE implications of several acquisitions involving numerous employees for a transport company.
- Successfully representing major technology company in unfair dismissal appeals in Employment Appeal Tribunal.
- Acted for an insurance broker in obtaining injunctive relief against ex-employees.
- Obtained injunctions for insurance brokers and software companies restraining breach of post-termination restrictions.
- Successfully defended an IT company in Employment Tribunal in unfair dismissal claims.
- Advising team of six senior managers of major publishers as to employment rights on sale of company.
- Acted in High Court proceedings for declarations as to ownership of a university publication and damages (University of Liverpool v University of Glasgow) which was resolved pre-trial by mediation.
- Dealt with foreign lawyers in projects involving multi-jurisdictional employment issues.
- Acted for a senior executive of a telecoms company on a successful injunction proceedings.
- Advised on the setting up of UK employment contracts and policies for several US company start ups in the IT sector.
- Acted for and advised the directors of nationally known companies in reviewing service agreements and on termination of employment.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised by Best Lawyers (UK) from 2009 to 2021 in the practice area of Employment
Author of the chapter on TUPE in Andrew Stilton’s Sale of Shares and Businesses (4th edn, Sweet and Maxwell)
Recognised as a leading employment lawyer in Best Lawyers 2017
Andrew qualified as a solicitor in 1980. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2008, he worked at the following firms:
- DJ Freeman