Ben has advised on pensions and employee benefits for fifteen years. He has a broad range of experience in occupational and personal pension schemes, both domestic and international. Ben provides legal counsel on corporate transactions as well as the establishment, maintenance, restructuring, and insolvency of pension schemes. His clients include major multinationals and publicly listed corporations, insurers, banks, pension providers, and leading UK and American law firms as well as the Isle of Man Government.
Ben assisted on the drafting of the Isle of Man pension and tax legislation and is currently a member of an Isle of Man Government steering committee. In addition to pension law, Ben is able to provide in-depth advice on employee share and performance plans, as well as wider trust matters.
Ben is the Isle of Man’s only member of the Association of Pensions Lawyers.
- Employee incentives
- Lead lawyer in the re-domiciling of over US$5 billion of pension scheme funds from Bermuda into the Isle of Man in 2015
- Lead lawyer in completing the winding-up of a defined benefit pension scheme and effecting the Isle of Man’s first insured buy-out for 20 years
- Acting in five separate scheme mergers in the Isle of Man in 2015
- Currently appointed as counsel for the trustee boards of the largest non-public-sector defined benefit schemes in the Isle of Man
- Acting for the Public Sector Pensions Authority in respect of the Isle of Man Government Unified Pension Scheme.
- Advised an Isle of Man-based technology business in relation to the purchase of a commercial property held in an Isle of Man company.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised in the Hall of Fame by The Legal 500 for Isle of Man: Insurance and Pensions (2021-2024)
Recognised in Best Lawyers (UK) 2014 – 2024 for Employee Share Schemes and Offshore
“Ben Hughes is very professional in his manner, thorough in his opinions and calm in his delivery. The reason we deal with Keystone has been due to the relationship and experience of Ben.” The Legal 500 2022
“Ben Hughes knowledge of pensions legislation, related tax laws and ability to apply his knowledge in a practical and understandable way is second to none.” The Legal 500 2022
“The key advocate is Ben Hughes who is the leading pension adviser on the Isle of Man. He has an in-depth knowledge of Manx pension law and regulations and can call on support for UK matters as required. He is pragmatic in his advice.” The Legal 500 2022
“Ben Hughes has been invaluable in our recent pension merger transaction. His engagement with the opposite parties has been excellent and he has met all scheduled deadlines, even where these have been extremely demanding.” The Legal 500 2022
“Ben Hughes is used extensively for pensions advice. Widely regarded as THE pensions expert in the Isle of Man, he provides practical advice in a very responsive manner and is always approachable.” Legal 500 2021
‘Detailed and practical knowledge of Isle of Man pensions legislation, trusteeship and employee benefits. Ben Hughes is an acknowledged expert in this field and is readily available for support and advice. Professional experience. In-depth knowledge.’ Legal 500 2021
Listed as a Recognised Practitioner in Chambers UK 2020 for Offshore: Employment
Recognised as a Leading Individual by Legal 500 2020 for Isle of Man: Insurance and Pensions
“Ben Hughes is a pleasure to work with.” Legal 500 2020
“Ben Hughes is a renowned specialist in the pensions sector- always available, extremely knowledgeable and able to explain complex matters comprehensively.” Legal 500 2020
Recognised Practitioner for Offshore: Employment in Chambers UK 2019
Recognised as a Leading Individual by the Legal 500 2018 for Isle of Man: Insurance and Pensions
Recognised by the Legal 500 2018 for Isle of Man: Employment
“Pensions law expert” Legal 500 2018
Ben is named as a Leading Individual by the Legal 500 2017 for Insurance & Pensions.
Ranked as a Leading Individual in Legal 500 Insurance and Pensions (2016)
Head of Cains’ Insurance and Pensions Department Isle of Man (Ranked Tier 1, Legal 500)
Who’s Who Legal 100 (leading practitioner for the Isle of Man)
Corporate International’s Magazine’s Global Award: Pensions Law Firm of the Year (Isle of Man) 2014, 2015 and 2016
Global Law Experts: Pensions Law Firm of the Year (Isle of Man) 2014 and 2015
ACQ Global Awards: Pensions Law Firm of the Year (Isle of Man) 2014
- Money Media, ‘Employee Benefits and the John Lewis Economy’
- Isle of Man Portfolio, ‘”Robespierre” Osborne and the Pensions Revolution: its implications for Isle of Man pensions’
- Member of the UK’s Association of Pension Lawyers
- Associate Member and Adviser to the Isle of Man’s Association of Pension Scheme Administrators
Ben qualified as a solicitor in 2000. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2016, he worked at the following firms:
- Denton Wilde Sapte