Clive is an expert in employment and partnership law, with particular expertise advising individuals on contentious exits, whistleblowing and discrimination claims, often within the financial sector and professional services. In addition, he has extensive experience advising senior individuals in the media sector.
Throughout his career, Clive has gained outstanding results and is well known for representing female senior executives and partners on discrimination cases relating to hostility faced as they seek to advance their careers, for example after maternity leave. He also acts for partners, and partnerships, in profit share disputes or in respect of individuals moving between firms.
Clive advises on both domestic and international cases with cross-border issues and has expertise in dealing with US whistleblowing ‘bounty’ claims. He frequently works alongside several of the top US firms in this area, and helps clients who have a US element to their claim take advantage of the favourable compensation that is available under US law.
- Employment law
- Partnership law
- Discrimination cases
- Profit share and bonus disputes
- Disciplinary issues
- USA bounty claims
- Representing the UK Home Office’s most senior official in a whistleblowing claim against the Home Secretary Priti Patel.
- Advising the new Chief Executive of a major sports governing body in negotiations on their contractual terms.
- Representing a non-executive director in bringing the first whistleblowing claim of a non-exec.
- Acted for partners in major professional service firms in age and sex discrimination claims when being dismissed.
- Acted for partner as part of a complex team move in extensive arbitration proceedings.
- Representing a number of senior executives in whistleblowing proceedings against major banks.
- Acted for a senior IT executive in race discrimination proceedings against a major bank.
- Acted for the former MD of a major supermarket chain in proceedings for unfair and wrongful dismissal, in the Employment Tribunal and High Court.
- Represented a law firm in a protracted dispute with one equity partner over alleged disability discrimination.
- Represented a fund manager in a dispute with a senior executive in respect of permanent health insurance, access to carried interest, employment terms.
- Acted for a very high-profile whistleblower in proceedings against a high-street bank.
- Acted for the employee in Fallows v News Group where the rules on restricted reporting orders were clarified.
- Represented a very senior executive in a whistleblowing claim against a major energy company working in conjunction with USA lawyers.
- Working with USA lawyers in a US mediation over a UK-based share option scheme for a USA executive.
- Acted for the high-profile whistleblower Paul Moore, in proceedings against HBOS and in giving evidence to Parliament.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised in Spear’s 500 2021 as a Top Recommended Employment Lawyer
Recognised in Chambers UK 2021 for Employment: Senior Executive
“He is excellent; he’s calm with a good strategic head, and he also very much has the human touch, which is vital for tricky cases.” “He’s endlessly experienced.” Chambers UK 2021
Recognised by The Legal 500 2021 Hall of Fame for Employee/Unions
Recognised by The Legal 500 2021 for Employment: Senior Executives
Recognised by Who’s Who Legal 2020 as Thought Leader and Global Leader for Labour and Employment Law
Recognised by Best Lawyers for Employment Law
The Legal 500: ‘Very knowledgeable’, providing ‘clear proactive and expert advice’
Chambers: ‘Excellent negotiator’, ‘amazing ambassador’ for his firm, ‘highly professional, not overly combative and clearly very knowledgeable’
Clive qualified as a solicitor in 1988. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2021, he worked at Slater and Gordon, and Russell Jones and Walker.