Clive is an expert in employment and partnership law, with particular expertise advising individuals on contentious exits, whistleblowing and discrimination claims, often within the financial sector and professional services. In addition, he has extensive experience advising senior individuals in the media sector.
Throughout his career, Clive has gained outstanding results and is well known for representing female senior executives and partners on discrimination cases relating to hostility faced as they seek to advance their careers, for example after maternity leave. He also acts for partners, and partnerships, in profit share disputes or in respect of individuals moving between firms.
Clive advises on both domestic and international cases with cross-border issues including in dealing with US whistleblowing ‘bounty’ claims.
Clive is a member of the Employment Lawyers Association (member of the Editorial Committee) and a member of the Association of Partnership Practitioners.
- Employment law
- Partnership law
- Discrimination cases
- Profit share and bonus disputes
- Disciplinary issues
- USA bounty claims
- Represented a fund manager in a dispute with a senior executive in respect of permanent health insurance, access to carried interest, employment terms.
- Acted for the employee in Fallows v News Group where the rules on restricted reporting orders were clarified.
- Worked with USA lawyers in a US mediation over a UK-based share option scheme for a USA executive.
- Advised the new Chief Executive of a major sports governing body in negotiations on their contractual terms.
- Represented the UK Home Office’s most senior official in a whistleblowing claim against the Home Secretary Priti Patel.
- Represented a non-executive director in bringing the first whistleblowing claim of a non-exec.
- Represented a number of senior executives in whistleblowing proceedings against major banks.
- Acted for a very high-profile whistleblower in proceedings against a high-street bank.
- Represented a very senior executive in a whistleblowing claim against a major energy company working in conjunction with USA lawyers.
- Acted for the high-profile whistleblower Paul Moore, in proceedings against HBOS and in giving evidence to Parliament.
- Acted for partners in major professional service firms in age and sex discrimination claims when being dismissed.
- Acted for a senior IT executive in race discrimination proceedings against a major bank.
- Represented a law firm in a protracted dispute with one equity partner over alleged disability discrimination.
- Acted for the founder of a Hedge Fund in respect of a new LLP Agreement allowing him to retain guaranteed income and carried interest as he approached and then retired and ensuring his family had ongoing income.
- Advised a client in respect of his departure from leading private investment firm which featured a complex LLP agreement, profit share and carried interest in a number of funds.
- Acted for the former MD of a major supermarket chain in proceedings for unfair and wrongful dismissal, in the Employment Tribunal and High Court.
- Acted for a partner as part of a complex team move in extensive arbitration proceedings.
- Acted for a senior partner in a large accountancy practice on disciplinary proceedings relating to allegations of harassment and helped to retain his position.
- Advised a senior partner at an international law firm in ensuring that her position and partnership earnings were protected whilst she worked overseas assisting another office.
- Acted for a Fund Manager/ Markets Investor in dealing with partner exits and employment issues.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Member of the Lawyers International Network for Employees and Executives (LINEE)
Recognised in Chambers UK 2023 for Employment: Senior Executives
“Clive is knowledgeable and personable.” Chambers UK 2023
Recognised in the Hall of Fame by The Legal 500 (2022-2023) for Employees/Unions
Recognised by The Legal 500 2023 as Leading Individual for Employment: Senior Executives
Recognised by The Legal 500 2023 for Corporate and Commercial: Partnerships
“Clive Howard is very knowledgeable and offers expert but practical advice. Always offers a very prompt reply.” The Legal 500 2023
Recognised in Spear’s 500 2022 as a Top Recommended Employment Lawyer
Recognised in Chambers UK 2022 for Employment: Senior Executives
“He is an experienced lawyer in employment. He has a great touch with clients and is a steady hand.” Chambers UK 2022
Recognised by The Legal 500 2022 for Employment: Senior Executives
Recognised by The Legal 500 2022 for Partnership
Recognised in the Spear’s 2021 Employment Lawyers Index as a Top Recommended Lawyer
Recognised in Spear’s 500 2021 as a Top Recommended Employment Lawyer
Recognised in Chambers UK 2021 for Employment: Senior Executive
“He is excellent; he’s calm with a good strategic head, and he also very much has the human touch, which is vital for tricky cases.” “He’s endlessly experienced.” Chambers UK 2021
Recognised by The Legal 500 2021 Hall of Fame for Employee/Unions
Recognised by The Legal 500 2021 for Employment: Senior Executives
Recognised by Who’s Who Legal 2020, 2021 and 2022 as Thought Leader and Global Leader for Labour and Employment Law
Recognised by Best Lawyers (UK) in the practice area of Employment Law 2023
The Legal 500: ‘Very knowledgeable’, providing ‘clear proactive and expert advice’
Chambers: ‘Excellent negotiator’, ‘amazing ambassador’ for his firm, ‘highly professional, not overly combative and clearly very knowledgeable’
Clive qualified as a solicitor in 1988. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2021, he worked at the following firms:
- Slater and Gordon
- Russell Jones and Walker