Cory is a leading insolvency lawyer and one of around 100 dual-qualified Solicitor Licensed Insolvency Practitioners in England & Wales, with over 20 years’ experience. He advises any party affected by insolvency with a particular emphasis on advising and defending company directors facing claims by office-holders, HMRC, creditors and the Insolvency Service.
Dealing with both contentious and non-contentious matters, Cory has been involved in cases involving anything from £50,000 to over £25M and has a particular interest in litigation funding.
In 2016 Cory was appointed as an independent solicitor by the High Court in relation to the BHS Administration, one of the largest insolvencies of recent times.
- Advising on all insolvency processes and procedures including administrations, liquidations, receiverships, bankruptcy, voluntary arrangements and insolvent estates
- Advising and defending directors in relation to litigation
- Director disqualification
- Acquiring or selling pre-pack businesses
- Complicated bankruptcy issues, including trading bankruptcies and disputes
- Bankruptcy Restriction Orders
- Property and insolvency
- Investigations into misconduct by bankrupts and directors
- Acted for a claimant in relation to a £30M claim against 30 defendants, arising from loans made for the purpose of tax avoidance schemes.
- Advised the chairman of a national retailer following its administration, in relation to his personal position.
- Advised a QC on insolvency proceedings being pursued against him.
- Advised a post-bankruptcy National Lottery jackpot winner on his bankruptcy.
- Defending a group of companies against claims brought by 80 investors.
- Defending directors against multimillion-pound claims arising from company tax mitigation schemes.
- Advised the administrator of a bridging lender on all issues arising in the administration.
- Successfully defending directors against claims threatened or brought by liquidators or the Insolvency Service.
- Advising on complicated property sales by office-holders.
- Securing insurance and funding to pursue claims.
- Private prosecutions by creditors and office-holders against those involved in fraud.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Cory qualified as a solicitor in 2001. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2021, he worked at the following firms:
- JMW Solicitors
- Fletcher Day
- Thomas Eggar (now Irwin Mitchell)