Douglas is a corporate lawyer who specialises in providing both transactional and regulatory advice on transactions relating to the insurance markets. He acts for insurers, insurance intermediaries, and buyers of insurance.
He has been involved in many outsourcing arrangements and has assisted in various start-ups and authorisations. He regularly advises on regulatory matters, particularly in the insurance sphere. He has a strong track record of persuading regulators to modify their position to a client’s benefit.
Most of his work is for businesses active in the London insurance market (or those which buy commercial insurance in the London insurance market). That market is international so many clients are either based, or owned by people, outside the UK so he has extensive dealings with non-UK clients, particularly people in South-East Asia (Singapore and Hong Kong), Europe (Germany, Switzerland and France), USA and Australia. In addition to his UK-based international experience, he has practised as a solicitor in Hong Kong for two years.
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Commercial alliances
- Insurance business transfer schemes
- Corporate reorganisations and insolvency
- Bespoke insurance policies for insurers or insureds
- Interaction with regulators, including in relation to potentially contentious issues
- Captive insurance arrangements
- Extended warranty and similar support schemes offered by manufacturers and retailers
- Acted for Hannover Group on the acquisition of the Argenta group of companies in 2017, including a Lloyd’s members agency, a Lloyd’s managing agency and various corporate names.
- Acted for a leading retail group for over 20 years in relation to its extended warranty arrangements, including facing down claims by relevant regulators that the arrangements were unlawful.
- Regularly acts for international banks on the drafting of bespoke insurance arrangements to hedge some of their credit exposure
- Advised a Middle Eastern Re group on regulatory arrangements for expansion of its business in the UK in compliance with EEA and UK requirements
- Advised a German Re group on claims handling arrangements
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised in Best Lawyers UK from 2014 – 2022 for Corporate Finance Law
Winner of Legal Business Insurance Team of the Year Award 1998
Member of the Law Society, the Hong Kong Law Society, and the City of London Solicitors Company
Douglas qualified as a solicitor 1980. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2018, he worked at the following firms:
- Clyde & Co
- Barlow Lyde & Gilbert
- Lovell, White & King