Elaine is an expert in commercial and insurance litigation and is extremely experienced in managing high-value product liability claims on behalf of insurer and corporate clients. Many of the disputes Elaine advises on are multi-jurisdictional, and a number of them have carried commercial and reputational implications which she has dealt with.
As well as product liability, Elaine also deals with a range of other disputes such as insurance, construction, contracts, subrogated recoveries, jurisdiction, property damage, occupier’s liability and nuisance claims.
Where a client does not want to go to court, Elaine is experienced in methods of Alternative Dispute Resolution.
- Product liability
- Property damage disputes
- Contract disputes
- Construction disputes
- Commercial insurance disputes
- Jurisdiction disputes
- Subrogated recoveries
- Occupier’s liability disputes
- Nuisance claims
- Mediation & ADR
- Advising a Fortune Global 500 multinational conglomerate on a construction dispute relating to asbestos removal, a Privy Council matter involving their Hotels Group and managing litigation relating to their properties.
- Acting for an international waste management company on product liability, commercial litigation matters and managing personal injury claims on their behalf.
- Acting for a global loss adjusting company and a multinational insurer advising on a range of claims including policy coverage, product liability, property damage and subrogated recoveries.
- Developed the relationship with and managed all product liability claims for a FTSE 100 major plumbing, heating, and construction industrial supplies PLC.
- Acted for one of the UK’s leading home and general merchandise retailers in property damage-related multi-party product liability claims and recoveries.
- Successfully defended a laboratory equipment supplier in a contribution claim following the electrocution of a laboratory worker and obtaining permission to serve out of the jurisdiction against the US manufacturer.
- Successfully facilitated recoveries from a Chinese manufacturer and their insurers on behalf of a large builder’s merchant following property damage to new-build houses caused by defective stopcocks.
- Defended a £2m product liability claim on behalf of a fertiliser mixing company following loss of crops from 20 farms in the UK due to boron toxicity in compost.
- Successfully obtained an injunction to evict tree protestors on behalf of a county council in a high-profile case that attracted national media coverage.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised by The Legal 500 2022 for Commercial Litigation: Mid-Market
“Elaine Chan is a highly skilled, efficient and personable lawyer.” The Legal 500 2022
Recognised by The Legal 500 2022 in Product Liability: Defendant
“Elaine Chan has always provided legal support and expertise to the right depth and level required for the particular case, enabling the matter to be resolved with a very satisfactory outcome.” The Legal 500 2022
Recognised by The Legal 500 2022 in Insurance and Reinsurance Litigation
Recognised in The Legal 500 2021 for Commercial Litigation
“Elaine Chan is an excellent solicitor and somebody who clearly has an abundance of knowledge and capability when it comes to both providing advice and dealing with insurance matters. Elaine’s down to earth persona makes working with her very easy and enjoyable.” The Legal 500 2021
“Elaine Chan is an expert on insurance issues, including in the international context. Her work with Chinese colleagues has meant that she has expertly deployed mediation to resolve disputes. She has enhanced her own skills by training as a mediator.” The Legal 500 2021
CEDR Accredited and CMC Registered Mediator
Elaine qualified as a solicitor in 2003. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2020, she worked at the following firms:
- Ward Hadaway