Elizabeth is an experienced litigator who has a common law practice with a particular emphasis on complex commercial litigation, Group Actions and product liability work. Elizabeth is a seasoned trial advocate and acts in arbitrations and mediations as well as across the first instance and appellate courts.
She advises on a range of commercial disputes, often with an international dimension, from sale of goods and services claims, to corporate and personal debts and insolvency. She specialises in claims involving banks and financial institutions with a particular emphasis on fraud and financial crime, the enforceability of guarantees and debtor-creditor-supplier litigation. Elizabeth is regularly instructed to represent the largest lending institutions and credit providers as well as private clients and large corporations. She has experience of economic tort claims, including complex conspiracy, tortious interference and procuring breach of contract cases, and of many claims involving breach of fiduciary duties.
With a client base comprising many large corporates, Elizabeth has acted in many high profile allegedly defective product cases litigated, in the main, under Group Litigation Orders. She has particular experience of claims involving medical devices and the apportionment of liability between patients, suppliers, manufacturers, surgeons and credit providers. She has advised and represented those in the finance, construction, transport, technology and healthcare sectors, and has first-hand experience of the procedures and tactics required in some of the largest commercial group actions, including funding issues, setting the parameters of the litigation, drafting individual and composite pleadings, rolling electronic disclosure by tranches and the scope of privilege, preliminary strike-out arguments on law, and disputes as to expert evidence.
Elizabeth is often involved in advising clients on preventative as well as remedial measures throughout the course of regulatory investigations. She also has a wealth of international experience, having advised in US, African and offshore cases.
- Commercial litigation
- Group actions and product liability
- Interpretation of oral assurances, entitlement to offset multi-currency accounts and misrepresentation
- Guarantees of commercial loans defended on grounds including alleged misrepresentation, undue influence and discharge by variation
- The scope of joint-venture partnerships and unlawful means conspiracy
- Preliminary jurisdictional challenges and resolving conflict of laws issues
- Civil fraud and the theft of trade secrets
- Scope of insurance cover in relation to commercial properties and developments
- Commercial development disputes over options and share of profits
- Professional negligence claims involving investment, financial and property advice
- Represented a defendant manufacturer in a multi-party claim concerning allegedly defective hip implants
- Acted for a credit provider defending a multi-party claim in relation to silicone breast implants
- Represented a defendant supplier in a multi-party claim concerning allegedly defective gastric bands
- Advised in experimental drug-trial claims, including on the scope of insurance coverage
- Advised a food manufacturer on the compatibility of proposed domestic legislation with European Union law
- Represented suppliers and manufacturers in allegedly defective building materials, electrical appliances and road surfacing products from investigation to trial
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Elizabeth qualified as a barrister in 2009. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2018, she was at Henderson Chambers for 9 years.