Emmanuel is a commercial lawyer specialising in technology, intellectual property, data protection & privacy, commercial contracts and IP/IT in M&A transactions. He advises funded small and medium-size businesses, corporates like Apigee (Google), Wm Morrisons plc, Pentaho Corp. (Hitachi Data Systems), WorkForce Software LLC, high-tech start-up ventures, angel investors and VCs.
Emmanuel also works with suppliers and buyers of technology in a variety of industries including AI computing, IoT, Big Data, travel tech, health tech, edtech, and digital media & publishing.
- Software prototyping and evaluation contracts; software development & professional services agreements; software licensing agreements; software support & maintenance agreements; service level agreements; reviews and rebuttals of software vendor audits to reduce true-up fines.
- Cloud computing agreements e.g. cloud hosting (IaaS), software-as-a-service terms; traditional hosting (dedicated, shared servers) agreements.
- E-commerce and website-related contracts including (a) UI/UX design, development, hosting, support and maintenance, (b) domain names, and (c) terms and conditions.
- Worldwide trade-mark applications including brand clearance searches, defending against third-party oppositions, portfolio management, licensing and co-existence agreements.
- IP assignment agreements; IP licensing agreements; franchise agreements; JV and spin-off agreements; brand protection.
- Data protection, privacy and cookies policies; processing agreements and data transfers; audits and compliance advice e.g. GPDR, Privacy Shield; data protection breaches and remediation plans; data sharing agreements; data extraction agreements; data licensing agreements.
- Procurement of the design, build, integration, implementation, roll-out, and support and maintenance of IT systems (turnkey or ‘best-of-breed’); drafting of ITT, RFPs and assessment of supplier responses; review of output-based specifications and supplier responses; outsourcing.
- Affiliate, reseller, channel and referral partner agreements; API integration agreements; app marketplace (such as Salesforce App Exchange) publisher and end-user terms; app store (such as Apple App Store) developer agreements.
- All aspects of IP, DP and IT systems/software on M&A transactions and funding rounds; IP, DP and IT systems/software due diligence and reports; drafting and negotiation of IP and IT warranties and indemnities; advising upon IP agreements necessary to secure ownership of IP, and transfer of IT systems (hardware leases/software licences) in M&A transactions.
- Consultancy agreements; confidentiality agreements; supply of goods and services agreements; manufacturing and distribution agreements; general commercial contracts.
- Advised Apigee Corp. (Google) on and negotiated licences for the supply of Apigee’s flagship API Product (on-premise and cloud) with European banks, insurers, supermarket retailers and car manufacturers.
- Advised WM Morrisons plc on and negotiated (i) an IaaS agreement with Getronics for the cloud hosting of OpenText EIM software, (ii) a Managed Cloud Hosting OLSA with Oracle for the cloud hosting of PeopleSoft 9.2 software, (iii) a cloud services and products reseller agreement with Computacenter and VMware, (iv) a SaaS agreement with Eagle Eye for the provision of rewards exchange and redemption SaaS solution for the Match & More loyalty card, and (v) prototype agreements for Wi-fi location analytics software with EE and O2.
- Advised clients on the management of their brands throughout the trade-mark lifecycle within the context of their overall commercial strategy internationally, e.g. WorkForce Software, LLC.
- Drafted trade-mark specifications and dealing with IPO and EUIPO objections and assisted in the defence against third-party oppositions brought by parties such as Volkswagen and Saab.
- Advised major US software vendors on the GDPR, its likely impact on the company’s processing operations and the steps that they could take to achieve GDPR compliance.
- Advised personal data platforms on their compliance with data protection laws, e.g. HATDeX.
- Advised health bodies on data protection laws, NHS information governance regulations and standards (IG Toolkit), including data records management, data retention, data destruction, and data security.
- Advised Guy’s and St Thomas’ on their NPfIT iCM Delivery and Eclipsys EPR Contracts as part of NPfIT.
- Advised Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust and Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust on their procurements of the Cerner Millennium and Meditech 6.0 EPR Systems, respectively, outside the NPfIT.
- Advised NHS Screening Programmes (Public Health England) and negotiated various IT systems and patient data contracts, e.g. AAA Screening Programme (Northgate Screening IT System, CfH DaaS) and Diabetic Screening Programme (CfH data extraction technologies).
- Advised Apigee Corp. (Google) and Push Technology on and negotiated various reseller agreements with major software vendors.
- Developed legal architecture and terms to deliver the BookingSync App Marketplace platform. Advised and negotiated the API Integration Agreements with Airbnb and BookingPal. Developed the App Marketplace Publisher & End-User platform terms and Reseller terms.
- Conducted IP, IT systems and data protection due diligence for Redcentric plc on its £65m acquisition of InTechnology Managed Services Limited from InTechnology plc.
- Conducted IP, IT Systems and data protection due diligence for Redstone plc on the £9.5m disposal of its infrastructure, data centre and smart-building solutions business.
- Conducted IP due diligence on various funding rounds for investors and technology start-ups including the Travel Startups Incubator investment into Africa Bookings.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Emmanuel qualified as a solicitor in 2008. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2017, he worked at DAC Beachcroft.