Fiona is both an English and Scottish qualified solicitor who has specialised in the areas of intellectual property and commercial law for more than 30 years. The key sectors Fiona provides advice to include life sciences, IT, industrial markets, academia and consumer products. Her clients range from start-ups and SMEs to universities and large multinational corporations.
Fiona is highly experienced in international licensing transactions and has worked with many businesses in the life sciences sector, helping them to enter new markets using licensing and other collaborative ventures. Her work is often international, and she has worked with many clients who are based overseas.
The enterprising Fiona Nicolson relishes the challenge of taking a start-up to big places through collaborative ventures.
IAM Patent 1000 – 2018
- International licence agreements
- Collaboration and joint venture agreements
- Research and development agreements
- General commercial contracts
- Advising one of the leading research institutes in Europe on an ongoing basis on licensing, spin-outs, collaboration and R&D agreements with multinationals, educational institutions and SMEs.
- Advised a leading Irish-based, US-venture-backed biotech start-up on a number of licensing arrangements with UK and US educational institutions and charities.
- Advised a London-based life science spin-out from a US headquartered multinational pharmaceutical company on licensing and manufacturing agreements in Europe, the US and Asia.
- Advised a consumer health SME based in Scotland on licensing arrangements for a new health supplement with a European headquartered pharma company which specialises in over-the-counter and generic drugs.
- Advised a listed UK plc on the IP and contractual aspects in relation to the transfer of a large portfolio of life science agreements including ongoing R&D arrangements, licences, patents and trademarks.
- Advising a US-based medical device developer on IP due diligence matters, patent assignments and ongoing joint venture and collaboration agreements in the UK, US and Asia.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised by Managing Intellectual Property (MIP) IP Stars 2021 as a Patent star and Transactions star
Recognised by Managing Intellectual Property (MIP) IP Stars 2020 as one of the Top 250 Women in IP
Recognised in Best Lawyers 2020 for Information Technology and Intellectual Property
Chair of the Law Society of Scotland’s accreditation panel for intellectual property
Board Member (Governor) Certified Licensing Professionals Inc
Top 250 Women in IP in 2020 – Managing Intellectual Property
IP transactions, patent strategy and counselling – MIP IP stars 2020
WIPR Leaders 2020
Recognised in the IAM 1000 Patents Transactions Directory 2020
Recognised in Who’s Who Legal Directory 2020 for Life Sciences
Recognised in Best Lawyers 2021 for IP and IT Law
Recognised as one of the 50 most influential people in IP (global list) Managing Intellectual Property December 2019
President of LESI (Licensing Executives Society International) 2019–2020
Fiona qualified as a solicitor in 1986. Prior to joining Keystone Law, she worked at the following firms:
- Bristows LLP
- Maclay Murray & Spens LLP
- Bird Semple Fyfe Ireland