Iain is a highly experienced litigator with almost 40 years’ experience and is qualified as both a solicitor and barrister. He handles a variety of corporate, commercial and financial disputes, often with a focus on shareholder and director issues that occur in the course of corporate transactions or joint ventures.
Working predominantly with clients across the investment, real estate and technology sectors, Iain is highly experienced in pursuing and defending parties.
Iain Roxborough is a "very calm and astute" commercial litigator with wide-ranging disputes experience. Interviewees say: "He is good at identifying issues and managing big litigation, and is an insightful legal mind."
Chambers UK 2017
Well regarded by peers in the market. He handles a variety of commercial disputes including joint ventures, shareholder and outsourcing project litigation.
Chambers UK 2016
Highly regarded by market commentators, who say he is “very, very good and deserves his reputation”. His focus is on commercial and corporate disputes in litigation as well as the financial services sector.”
Legal 500 2016
“Knows how to win”
Legal 500 2016
- Commercial litigation and arbitration
- Minority shareholder, joint venture and family business disputes
- Events of Default
- Fraud and recovery
- Directors Duties
- Warranty and Indemnity claims
- Misuse of confidential information
- Project failures and professional negligence claims
- Representing investors in claims alleging breach of fiduciary duties and investment agreements across numerous jurisdictions under an LCIA arbitration.
- Advising on defaults under facility agreements and related claims against directors.
- Representing claimants in court action seeking a declaration that £168m of premium was not due to noteholders under the securitisation of a real estate portfolio.
- Defending director facing $bn claim alleging fraudulent misrepresentation in the context of takeover bid and financial accounting statements.
- Freezing orders and ancillary disclosure orders pursuing Nigerian debtors on behalf of banks and defending third party banks.
- Resisting the continuation of a restraining injunction, counterclaiming and alleging the court was misled.
- Pursuing claims for payment of a success fee.
- Defending and pursuing claims for misuse of confidential information in the context of financial services.
- Representing a director and co-ordinating with other directors in responding to investigations by The Insolvency Service and related regulatory enquiries in the care sector.
- Activist letter writing for shareholders in a listed company to its directors.
- Defended and pursued US and UK suppliers and customers in IT and outsourcing disputes.
- Terminating project and joint venture contracts and/or arguing over their improper termination and/or performance.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised by the Legal 500 2020 for Fraud: Civil and Commercial Litigation
Recognised by Best Lawyers (UK) 2020 and 2019 in the practice areas of Litigation
Recognised by Best Lawyers (UK) 2020 in the areas of Financial Services for Computers and the Law
A member of the Solicitor Advocate Higher Courts Association and the Society for Computers and the Law
Iain qualified as a solicitor in 1985. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2017, he worked at the following firms:
- Clifford Chance
- Holman Fenwick and Willian