Ian is a Private Property solicitor with over 25 years’ experience handling prime and super-prime London residential property transactions. He has advised some of the world’s most powerful people investing in the London prime residential property sector on buying, selling and developing in London. Most of Ian’s clients are international, and have included foreign royal families, country leaders and the owners of successful businesses.
As well as advising high-net-worth individuals, Ian advises major property companies. He has also assisted international banks with property finance deals.
Ian is dual-qualified in England and Wales and in the British Virgin Islands. He often advises banks, companies and law firms on the ability of BVI companies to enter into property and other transactions.
In 2019, Ian was top-ranked in The Spear’s 500, in Chambers HNW and in The Legal 500.
I have worked closely with Ian Cooke on countless high-value Real Estate transactions in Prime and Super-Prime Central London since 1994. Ian has the technical skills, personality and ability to charm his client, and the other side, whilst delivering the most efficient, commercially beneficial and highly professional legal services to secure the best outcome for those he represents. I recommend him without hesitation or reservation to anyone needing world-class legal representation in their high-value London property deals.
Chairman and CEO, Portman Heritage
I have worked with Ian for the last four years and I cannot recommend him highly enough. Ian is an excellent lawyer with standout levels of integrity and professionalism. His advice, client care and attention to detail is nothing short of exceptional.
Managing Director, Warnerheath Limited
- Prime and super-prime residential London property transactions
- Prime London residential property development
- Property finance
- Transactions involving BVI companies
- Acted in the purchase of London’s most expensive apartment for an international buyer for a total “spend” including fit-out of in excess of £180m.
- Advised a Middle Eastern family on the acquisition and refurbishment of a Prime London residential house worth in excess of £50m.
- Advised British Land plc on its sales of Clarges, Mayfair – one of Mayfair’s most exclusive and high-value residential development projects in recent years.
- With his team, advised on London residential property deals worth in excess of £2 billion per annum in each year between 2012 and 2019.
- Handled the sale for a developer client of an apartment worth £62m.
- Advised a Gulf-based buyer on the acquisition of an apartment for over £30m in Grosvenor Square.
- Along with a colleague, travelled to Hong Kong and Singapore to advise and place into contract over 200 apartment buyers at the Battersea Power Station redevelopment project.
- Assisted an international businessman on the acquisition of three adjoining buildings near Buckingham Palace, which buildings he will develop into prime residential apartments, some for use by his family and some for sale.
- Advised a number of international families acquiring apartments and townhouses at Chelsea Barracks.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised in Spear’s 500 2021 as a Top Flight Property Lawyer
Recognised as a Leading Individual by the Legal 500 2021 in Residential Property
“Ian Cooke and Sakhjit Randhawa are highly experienced, high-value property lawyers working absolutely at the top of the market and the top of their game. They are effective “deal-doers” who find solutions for clients and who offer world class legal advice – delivered commercially. They are pro-active, responsive, bright and switched-on.” The Legal 500 2021
“Ian Cooke and Sakhjit Randhawa are two highly skilled senior law firm partners at the pinnacle of their professional careers. They have recently established their legal offices in the heart of SW1 and are able to offer their clients very smart and confidential private offices within which to hold private meetings and to discuss clients’ business objectives and to work to secure the best interests of their clients at all times.” The Legal 500 2021
“Ian Cooke and Sakhjit Randhawa are simply the very best in this industry within the central London property market. The ultra-high end of the residential property market is the sector within which they both operate at their optimum and where they really have no rivals, in my humble opinion. They have acutely bright legal minds, they are able to cut to the point swiftly and as a result, they are best able to deliver deals for clients quickly but safely in a way that other lawyers might struggle to match.” The Legal 500 2021
Recognised by Spear’s Magazine as a Top Six Property Lawyer
Included in The Spear’s 500 in 2019 and in the previous five years as “Eminence Grise” in the field of High Value Residential Property
Tier 1 in Chambers HNW in 2018, 2019 and 2020
“There isn’t a thing that is too hard for him to do. He totally understands this space and there is not a thing he doesn’t know – he really gets property.” Chambers HNW 2020
“Ian is very approachable, friendly and a committed professional. His client care and advice is nothing short of outstanding, and he is so incredibly thoughtful. His commitment to a deal is phenomenal and his speed of response is very good.” Chambers HNW 2020
“Ian is exceptional at complex and bespoke transactions, with a particular strength at being able to defuse potentially volatile situations.” Chambers HNW 2020
“Best in class. He’s extremely capable and has a very personal touch. He is incredibly professional and reliable.” Chambers HNW 2019
“He is without hesitation or deviation, the very best lawyer I have ever worked with. He possesses an extensive and very impressive knowledge of his field of expertise.” Chambers HNW 2019
Leading Lawyer in The Legal 500 in 2019 and 2020
Profiled in The Spear’s March/April 2019 magazine as a Top 6 Lawyer in the UK for high-value residential property deals
Ian qualified as a solicitor in 1993. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2019, he worked at the following firms:
- Charles Russell Speechlys
- Norton Rose Fulbright