Ian is a highly-skilled Brand Management and Intellectual Property lawyer with a keen focus on the legal aspects of marketing, advertising, sales promotions, sponsorship and endorsement agreements, lotteries and merchandising.
He is a trusted, and long-term, advisor to McDonald’s for all manner of marketing activities. During his career he has also acted for a range of household names including HMV, NCP, New Look, River Island, Luxottica and Swarovski.
- Brand exploitation and protection (personalities and corporates), including licensing and franchising
- Merchandising – online, retail, supply-chain and production
- Marketing – advertising, sales promotion and sponsorship/endorsement
- Privacy and data protection
- Gaming, lotteries and betting
- Business contracts
- Commercial supply and sale arrangements
- ASA investigations and advertising guidance
- Clearcut and Phone Pay Plus compliance
- Risk management
- Prize promotional guidance
- Advising McDonalds on promotional activity, advertising and digital activities and sports sponsorship in addition to brand, marketing and general commercial law
- Working with two global marketing agencies on a number of household brands in the cereals, snacks and drinks sectors and managing and resolving a dispute with the global licensor of an internationally renowned boy band
- Commercial supply and sale arrangements for a global supplier of private label and own-brand cosmetics to internationally renowned retailers including A.S. Watson of the Hutchison Whampoa group and Marks and Spencer
- Advising internationally renowned luxury hotel chains on ASA investigations and advertising and marketing
- Advising a USA-based global gambling group, on UK gambling market and general legislation, including the reverse takeover of Isle of Man Virtual Casino
- Prize promotional guidance for Luxottica and Swarovski
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised by The Legal 500 2021 for Media and Entertainment
Recognised in the Legal 500 2020 for Media and Entertainment
Recognised in the Legal 500 2018 for Reputation Management and Brand Management
Recognised in the Legal 500 2017 for Commercial Contracts and Brand Management.
Ian Down is noted as a recognised practitioner, Chambers UK 2017
“Keystone Law’s Ian Down acts for McDonald’s in relation to IP, licensing and sponsorship matters. Other clients include HCT Europe and Biscuiterie Jules Destrooper.” Legal 500 2016
Listed as a recognised practitioner in Chambers UK (2016)
Recognised as a leading practitioner in Legal 500 2014
“Ian Down focuses on advertising, marketing and sponsorship matters and is regularly instructed by McDonald’s UK”.Legal 500 2013
Ian qualified as a solicitor in 1988. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2014, he worked at the following firms: