Ilona is an aviation and superyacht law expert, with more than 15 years’ experience working within the maritime sector. Her practice involves advising ultra-high-net-worth individuals, family offices, companies, and banks on a range of yachting and aviation matters. This includes all manner of transactional and advisory work including, sale and purchase, construction/refit, leasing and asset financing. Ilona also advises on ownership structures, registration, and VAT/importation of yachts and aircrafts.
Having an in-depth understanding of regulatory matters in respect of yachts and aircraft, a part of Ilona’s practice involves structuring helicopter operations off yachts.
Ilona’s commercial approach and business efficacy stems from her involvement in her family’s ship-owning business prior to her embarkment on a legal career. Having instructed legal counsel regularly, she understands the need for coherent and commercial legal advice always bearing in mind the client’s business needs.
Ilona grew up in both Ukraine and Canada and maintains strong links to the Black Sea region. She also speaks fluent Russian.
- Sale and purchase
- Wet and dry leases
- Sale and purchase
- Acted for a UAE client on the purchase of a new Global 6500.
- Advised a UK client on the sale on an Agusta helicopter.
- Advised on the financing of a Gulfstream G550 with a Swiss bank.
- Advised on the sale of Hawker Beechcraft 750 aircraft to a Canadian buyer including export from the EU.
- Advised on the purchase of a Gulfstream G550, the aircraft management agreements and import into the EU.
- Advised on the sale of an Isle of Man registered Bombardier Challenger 605 to a US buyer.
- Represented a US client on the purchase and leaseback of six Hercules-type aircraft (to be used for humanitarian relief purposes) from a South African seller (which included the simultaneous delivery of all the aircraft).
- Advised on the purchase of a Hawker Beechcraft 750 and its importation into the EU under an AOC.
- Advised on the purchase of a semi-completed yacht from a French yard and her export to Kuwait.
- Advised the purchase and conversion of a 70m yacht including drafting all supplemental agreements and advising on ownership structuring and VAT.
- Advised on the re-financing and simultaneous change of flag of a 36m sailing yacht.
- Advised on the purchase of a euro 2.2 million tender and arranging her import into the EU through France.
- Advised an American client on the purchase of a 41m yacht and arranging her import and payment of VAT in Malta.
- Advised on a new-build contract with an Italian yard and importing the yacht into the EU through France.
- Advised on the sale of a 67m Cayman Islands registered yacht operating under the Maltese VAT deferment scheme.
- Advised on a 50m Heesen new-build contract and arranging her delivery including advising on potential import routes to operate the yacht in the EU on a commercial basis.
- Advised on a euro 2.5 million Damen Refit Contract and arranging her redelivery to the owner.
- Advised on a 118m Feadship new-build contract and the exterior and interior design agreements.
- Arranged the delivery to a client of an 89m Oceanco new build.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recommended by Spear’s for Aviation
Ilona qualified as a solicitor in 2015. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2021, she was a Director and Head of Aviation at Bargate Murray.