James is a highly experienced civil dispute resolution lawyer of more than twenty years’ standing. He specialises in commercial and corporate disputes in the UK and internationally. James has extensive expertise in disputes relating to contracts, directors/shareholders, intellectual property, IT, franchising, and commercial agents.
James has acted for high-net-worth individuals, entrepreneurs, international companies, directors, shareholders, private banks, private equity organisations, insurance companies, television production companies, and individuals from the world of sport.
James is a very dynamic and knowledgeable lawyer. He enhanced our own proactive legal team, and exhibited a thorough understanding and empathy for corporate interests in successfully resolving a multi-million-dollar claim. A lawyer to have in your arsenal.
Jorge Cuervo Vela
Corporate Office-Legal Manager, Cosentino Group
During my time working with James, he has always been extremely proficient at identifying the key issues, and immediately understood our industry sector and the complexities of our needs. He was highly responsive when interpreting our needs and subsequently delivered the results we wanted. James connected easily with me and my team and his calm approach under pressure was a bonus. I cannot recommend him highly enough.
Managing Director, Prestige Nursing Ltd
As publishers and developers of video games who operate worldwide and work with a range of international clients and partners we have consulted James over the years on a range of legal issues. His sensible and balanced approach combined with his knowledge and experience of the law have often assisted in finding solutions to complex legal issues. On a personal level, he is a true professional, who has a sound understanding of the commercial world and has become a reliable friend, always available when needed. I have no hesitation in recommending James to anyone who needs a trustworthy and reliable lawyer.
Managing Director, Slitherine Group
James is a highly experienced, competent City solicitor with a modern approach to work models. As thorough as he is personable, he brings strategic skill to end game and cost across a range of national and international work. His successful track record and innovative style make him a solicitor trusted by clients to deliver.
Barrister, 3 Verulam Buildings
I have used the services of James on a number of occasions over many years to successfully resolve contract disputes and to defend our trade marks in overseas territories, particularly China and South Africa. His advice and guidance has been invaluable when identifying the best course of action to reach a successful and cost-effective result.
Highly experienced and hard-working, James is a very safe pair of hands for commercial disputes and an absolute pleasure to work with.
Barrister, 3 Verulam Buildings
James is an extremely experienced litigator, tenacious where the circumstances merit it but practical in his advice, understanding the commercial drivers that underpin any dispute.
UK and European Trade Mark Attorney, Gill Jennings & Every LLP
- Commercial contracts
- IT (software and related disputes)
- Claims against directors and shareholders
- Injunctive and related emergency relief and remedies
- Intellectual property disputes
- Franchising (acting for franchisors and franchisees)
- Commercial agents (pursuing and defending claims under the Commercial Agents Regulations)
- Sports law
- Acting for a corporate client on a multimillion-pound warranty dispute following the sale of a large piece of land for development involving allegations by the purchaser of contamination on the land.
- Acting for a large international Spanish corporate with a worldwide presence in its contractual dispute with a significant US Company, the seat of arbitration being Geneva, Switzerland.
- Acting for a corporate client to successfully secure an injunction to freeze (and subsequently return) funds removed from the corporate client’s bank account through an unlawful reversal of a direct debit mandate.
- Acting for an international corporate client in complex criminal and civil proceedings following the death/serious injury of users of their heavy plant machinery in England and the US.
- Acting for a corporate client in pursuing a claim emanating out of Columbia against a Lloyd’s syndicate concerning a refusal to pay out under a key man insurance policy.
- Acting for shareholders in defending injunction proceedings.
- Acting for directors in a claim against the company accountants and auditors following an Inland Revenue investigation which discovered significant irregularities.
- Acting for a fuel supplier involved in a complex and highly publicised multimillion-pound claim brought by various well-known supermarkets against their fuel suppliers following the alleged contamination of car fuel supplied to thousands of motorists.
- Acting for a very well-known TV production company on various contractual disputes arising out of its productions.
- Acting for a very well-known international shirt manufacturer in respect of seizure (and subsequent destruction) of counterfeit goods by customs and excise.
- Acting for a franchisor client in defending injunction proceedings.
- Reinsurance claim (Italy)
- Passing-off claim (US)
- Patent ownership (US)
- Purchase of a hotel (Turkey)
- Installation of software (Poland, Belgium)
- Commercial contract dispute (Austria)
- Trade mark and copyright infringement (China, Singapore, Canada, Malta, South Africa)
- IT dispute (Belgium)
- Banking dispute (Netherlands)
- Contract for supply of heavy materials (Bulgaria)
- Debt actions (France, Switzerland, Germany, Belgium, Singapore, South Africa)
- Key man insurance (Columbia)
- Breach of supply agreement (Croatia)
- Breach of a procurement contract at a major hub airport in South Africa for a client with a worldwide logistics presence
- Acting in a complex international arbitration with its seat in Belgium on a significant IT dispute between a telecommunications company and a software company which resulted in a clean-sweep award for the client.
- Acting for an internationally renowned developer and publisher of computer game titles in the strategy genre in commercial contract, intellectual property, and software disputes.
- Acting for companies in dispute with NHS trusts over IT contracts.
- Advising on trade mark infringement in various franchise disputes where parties were trading under mark without licence.
- Acting for clients in numerous cases of copyright and trade mark infringements in the UK and overseas.
- Acting in a case involving Microsoft and the NHS involving breach of licence/lack of licence.
- Acting for an inventor client in an international cross-border dispute over patent ownership of a car-door hemming machine.
- Acting for an international e-commerce client in a claim against it by one of its customers re a dispute over delivery of an IT contract.
- Advising on a trade mark infringement claim in respect of a well-known camera manufacturer’s mark.
- Advising a Premiership footballer in respect of claim of breach of contract by his club.
- Advising football league club chairman and investor in respect of dispute over payment for sale of shares.
- Acting for a cricketer in disciplinary proceedings accused of ball tampering.
- Acting for a serial multi-millionaire in a claim of deceit arising out of allegations of tampering with documents in relation to a multimillion-pound property sale.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
“He is extremely strategic and pragmatic – he has his eye on the end game and what the client is interested in.” Chambers UK 2015
Recognised in the Legal 500 2012, 2013, and 2014 for his expertise in Dispute Resolution and Franchising
Named as a Leading Individual in Chambers 2014
Quoted and published on numerous occasions throughout his career.
Affiliate Member of the Chartered Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys (CITMA)
International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
James qualified as a solicitor in 1995. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2014, he worked at the following firms:
- Berrymans Lace Mawer