Joanna is a Commercial and Intellectual Property litigator in the firm’s dispute resolution team. She deals with a variety of disputes ranging from commercial disputes involving debt recovery and breach of contract claims to shareholder disputes (including minority shareholder actions). She acts for a range of clients, from large corporate firms to small businesses and individuals. She also has a keen interest in Intellectual Property disputes including copyright, trademarks, design rights and passing off.
Joanna has an LLM in Commercial Intellectual Property.
Having worked with Joanna McKenzie over many months on a complex and challenging piece of litigation, I can safely say that no one could have been a more devoted lawyer to her client. She works tirelessly at all hours of the day and night with razor sharp attention to detail. Not only is she able to empathise with her clients but she has a thorough knowledge of the law. She manages to orchestrate members of a multidisciplinary team comprising client, counsel and expert witnesses with the apparent ease to get everyone working together in an efficient and coordinated way for the client’s benefit.
Partner, Milsted Langdon
I have worked as counsel with Keystone Law, and in particular Joanna McKenzie, in litigation in the High Court and Court of Appeal, for a number of years and found the firm and Mrs McKenzie to be exceptional team members who make a very substantial contribution to the efficient and effective conduct of litigation. I am especially impressed with the firm’s client care in terms of attention paid to the client and the firm’s flexibility in serving the needs of their client.
3 Stone Buildings
Many thanks for this and all your help, support, advice, guidance and most of all your proactivity in pushing for things to happen. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend you to others.
Spaceright Europe Limited
We have entrusted Joanna with a whole host of legal matters relating to our newly established business. She really leaves no stone unturned and examines every possible scenario meticulously and efficiently. Her work is also delivered with a feeling and assurance that 'she is there for you', which is an important personal touch in high-stakes situations.
Josh Karanasios, Program Director
- Alternative dispute resolution
- Appeal Court, High Court and County Court claims
- Contract disputes
- Debt recovery
- Consumer contracts
- Professional negligence
- Partnership, shareholder and company disputes (including minority shareholder disputes)
- Building disputes
- Intellectual property disputes (trade marks, copyright, design right, passing off and moral rights)
- Domain name disputes
- Database rights
- Judicial reviews
- Acted in a claim of undue influence against a major building society.
- Advised numerous businesses on the intellectual property rights existing in their business name, logo and domain name and taking action to protect or recover rights.
- Advised a recruitment consultancy on the threatened recovery of commission on a placement.
- Advised a group of claimants from around the world on the recovery of funds invested in a fraudulent investment scheme involving six different defendants.
- Acted in professional negligence claims in defence of and against professional advisors.
- Acted in the successful recovery of land after it was mistakenly returned to the Crown following a negligent property transfer and subsequent dissolution of the owning company.
- Advised an international defendant on a claim from an insurer on the breach of a loan agreement, leading to an extremely favourable settlement for the client.
- Advised a betting company on taking action regarding its licence agreements following a decision in the European Court of Justice on the intellectual property rights in football fixture lists.
- Advised an IT firm on a non-payment of invoices and a breach of contract claim with a major high-street company for whom they provided IT support with proprietary software also embedded in their systems. Reached an amicable conclusion with payment of outstanding fees made, and the renewal of the contract.
- Advised clients on breach of software agreements and recovery of source code written under those agreements.
- Advised a nationwide school-furniture manufacturer on defending allegations of design right infringement and reaching a settlement.
- Acted in the successful recovery of a substantial investment on behalf of a client further to the mis-selling of a precipice bond by a financial adviser.
- Advised a client on defending a small claim that had been issued incorrectly against an individual employee (rather than the company). Advised on applying to strike out the claim, dealing with an amended Claim Form being issued, and eventually achieving the withdrawal of the claim in its entirety.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Joanna qualified as a solicitor in 2003. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2013, she worked at the following firms:
- Wragge & Co
- Barker Gotelee
- Gotelee Solicitors