Joanna is a general commercial and civil litigator in the firm’s dispute resolution team who deals with a variety of disputes ranging from debt recovery to professional negligence claims to breach of contract claims. She also has a keen interest in Intellectual Property disputes including copyright, trademarks, design rights and passing off.
Joanna represents individuals and companies of all sizes. She has an LLM in commercial intellectual property.
Having worked with Joanna McKenzie over many months on a complex and challenging piece of litigation, I can safely say that no one could have been a more devoted lawyer to her client. She works tirelessly at all hours of the day and night with razor sharp attention to detail. Not only is she able to empathise with her clients but she has a thorough knowledge of the law. She manages to orchestrate members of a multidisciplinary team comprising client, counsel and expert witnesses with the apparent ease to get everyone working together in an efficient and coordinated way for the client’s benefit.
Partner, Milsted Langdon
I have worked as counsel with Keystone Law, and in particular Joanna McKenzie, in litigation in the High Court and Court of Appeal, for a number of years and found the firm and Mrs McKenzie to be exceptional team members who make a very substantial contribution to the efficient and effective conduct of litigation. I am especially impressed with the firm’s client care in terms of attention paid to the client and the firm’s flexibility in serving the needs of their client.
3 Stone Buildings
Many thanks for this and all your help, support, advice, guidance and most of all your proactivity in pushing for things to happen. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend you to others.
Spaceright Europe Limited
We have entrusted Joanna with a whole host of legal matters relating to our newly established business. She really leaves no stone unturned and examines every possible scenario meticulously and efficiently. Her work is also delivered with a feeling and assurance that 'she is there for you', which is an important personal touch in high-stakes situations.
Josh Karanasios, Program Director
- Alternative dispute resolution
- Appeal Court, High Court and County Court claims
- Contract disputes
- Debt recovery
- Consumer contracts
- Professional negligence
- Partnership, shareholder and company disputes
- Building disputes
- Intellectual property disputes(trade marks, copyright, design right, passing off and moral rights)
- Domain name disputes
- Database rights
- Judicial reviews
- Claim of undue influence against a major building society
- Advised numerous businesses on the intellectual property rights existing in their business name, logo and domain name and taking action to protect or recover rights
- Advised a publishing company on breach of copyright and database rights
- Advised on professional negligence claims in defence of and against professional advisors
- Recovered land after it was mistakenly returned to the Crown following a negligent property transfer and subsequent dissolution of the company that had owned the land
- Advised a property development company on a potential breach of contract and professional negligence claims
- Advised a betting company on taking action regarding its licence agreements following a decision in the European Court of Justice on the intellectual property rights in football fixture lists
- Advised a recruitment firm on its right to claim a finder’s fee following a breach of contract by its client and reaching a swift commercial settlement
- Advised a nationwide furniture manufacturer on defending allegations of design right infringement and reaching a settlement
- Recovered a substantial investment on behalf of a client further to the mis-selling of a precipice bond by a financial adviser
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Joanna qualified as a solicitor in 2003. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2013, she worked at the following firms:
- Barker Gotelee
- Gotelee Solicitors