John is a solicitor qualified to practise in three jurisdictions: Northern Ireland, England and Wales and the Republic of Ireland. John is also admitted as a Barrister and an Attorney in Bermuda. With particular expertise in corporate, commercial and intellectual property matters, his career has included a number of years spent in private practice as well as in-house. John also has a particular interest in advising clients in the property, energy, retail, hospitality, sport and general contracting industries.
- Corporate law
- Commercial law
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Private equity
- Intellectual property
- Acted in the acquisition of a £180m distressed property development debt from Ulster Bank Limited
- Acted in the £90m refinance of Kilmona Group
- Acted in the acquisition of £90m of debt from Cerberus Capital Management owned spv for Rhino Investment Management LLP
- Acted in the £34m acquisition of the business and assets of Straben Developments Limited for Straben Limited
- Acted in the acquisition of Warner Chilcott plc for $3.1bn in December 2003
- Acted in the acquisition of a portfolio of commercial buildings in Belfast city centre for Kilmona Group
- Advised on a new £100m health hub to be located at Kings Hall Belfast
- Advised Galgorm Castle Golf Club on the hosting of a European PGA Challenge Tour event – the NI Open
- Advised on the sale of the entire issued share capital of Belfast Distillery Limited to a US-based purchaser
- Advised the estate of the late George Best on the protection and exploitation of its intellectual property including the registration of George Best trade marks and negotiated a commercial exploitation agreement with IMG
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised by the Legal 500 2018 for Northern Ireland: Corporate and Commercial and Northern Ireland: Commercial Property
John McMahon is recognised by the Legal 500 2017.
John qualified as a solicitor in 1993. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2017, he worked at the following firms:
- McMahon McKay