Jon is a Construction and Engineering specialist, handling both contentious and non-contentious legal work. His practice focuses, largely, on acting for employers and their design teams, as well as contractors and engineers. Jon has particular expertise in energy-related issues, infrastructure, precision engineering and cyber security installations whilst most of his casework is concentrated on the drafting of contracts, providing procurement advice and advising on disputes both within the UK and internationally. He can also provide clients with strategic support in rationalising the procurement of their supply chain risk, or advise on risk with regards to where that lies within their own contracts for tender.
In addition, Jon can assist with payment and liability issues on current projects, as well as advise on an effective strategy to resolve any issues. Jon is an ADR accredited mediator, which sees him advising clients on alternative ways to resolve disputes, avoiding the litigation process. He is, however, also a TeCSA solicitor and very experienced in litigious matters, whenever the need arises for clients to engage him in a more formal dispute resolution arena.
- Procurement strategy
- Interpretation and drafting of construction and related contracts
- Drafting of a number of standard-form and bespoke construction documents
- Public and private sector organisations
- Technology and Construction Court litigation
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)
- Procurement advice on the Cell Therapy Catapult (Innovate UK) for its £6m clean-room fit-out contract for research and development at Guy’s Hospital.
- Procurement advice for a £9m car automotive testing plant in West Sussex for high-performance vehicles (race and road) – FIDIC Silverbook and Yellow Book procured for Horiba UK.
- Acting for Pure Gym in relation to over 110 fit-out contracts for gyms across the UK since inception of the business, negotiating the first one which opened at Spinningfields, Manchester, in 2009.
- Drafting supply, installation and commissioning contracts for anaerobic digestion plants for an Austrian engineer – bespoke contracts, IChemE Red Book and MF/1 procured across England and Scotland (140kwp-24mwp schemes with VCT funding considerations).
- Drafting EPC contracts for commercial solar schemes including the largest rooftop solar PV installation in Europe in 2014 (6.1 MW with an array the size of 11 football pitches) at Marks & Spencers’ distribution hub at Castle Donington, Leicestershire.
- Negotiation of the retractable roofing contract for installation at the Katara Fan Zone, Doha, ahead of the 2022 World Cup in Qatar for British tensile fabric specialist contractor, Fabric Architecture.
- Advising on a £30m insurance dredging dispute in relation to a professional negligence claim at a dry dock in Felixstowe.
- Successfully resolving a £4m dispute relating to the renovation of a Grade 1 listed property in the Cotswolds.
- Reported cases: Alstom Signalling Ltd v Jarvis Facilities ; SCC Construction Limited v Medlock Projects Limited ; SG South Ltd v (1) Kings Head Cirencester LLP (2) Cornhall Arcade Ltd ; SG South v Swan Yard (Cirencester) Ltd .
- Advised on structuring considerations for the National Star College in Cheltenham, in relation to new boarding houses with OJEU considerations.
- Defending a Midlands based mechanical & electrical engineer on a £1.1m claim in the TCC relating to alleged defects in ventilation extraction. Advised throughout this tripartite litigation, having drafted the defence and heavily involved in drafting witness statements and steering multiple experts.
- Acted for Luxury Family Hotel Group on the drafting of construction documents for a new £50m hotel complex in St Ives, Cornwall as well as renovation works at other properties including Moonfleet Manor, Dorset and the construction of high specification villas worth £3.6m at Hotel Polurrian, Mullion Bay, Cornwall.
- Acted for Ecotricity Group on the procurement of a number of projects and related contract advice relating to MF/1, JCT and bespoke appointments with engineers based in Italy, Germany and the Czech Republic.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised by the Legal 500 2020 for South West: Construction
Jon Close is recognised by the Legal 500 2017
At Keystone Law, key practitioners include Jon Close, who joined from BPE Solicitors LLP in March 2016. Legal 500 (2016)
“Jon Close has advised a number of international clients, including Horiba and Biogest Energie und Wasstertechnik GmbH, on a wide range of matters.” Legal 500 UK (2014)
“Jon Close is a key contact.” Chambers UK (2014)
“BPE Solicitors LLP’s Jon Close is recommended.” Legal 500 UK (2012)
Jon qualified as a solicitor in 2005. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2016, he worked at the following firms:
- BPE Solicitors
- Osborne Clarke