Jonathan is a specialist in professional regulatory and disciplinary matters affecting solicitors and their practices, as well as other legal professionals. He provides advice, support and representation for clients dealing with allegations of professional misconduct and for individuals who are otherwise the subject of regulatory scrutiny.
Jonathan’s extensive client base is composed of law firms, individual solicitors, paralegals, trainees, practice managers and various other entities across the UK and overseas. He has particular expertise in the professional regulation of solicitors, aiding firms and individuals (including COLPs and COFAs) in achieving continuing regulatory compliance, and in making appropriate disclosures when rules might not have been complied with to the letter.
A core part of Jonathan’s practice is to guide clients through responses to SRA enquiries. This has included brokering Regulatory Settlement Agreements and the resolution of matters without further action taken by the regulator.
In addition, Jonathan is an experienced advocate. He regularly appears before the SDT, and his experience as a former prosecutor for the SRA provides him with unparalleled insight.
Jonathan is also a member of the Solicitors Assistance Scheme.
- SRA investigations, including investigations into alleged misconduct, and guiding clients in making admissions or setting out a robust defence where available
- SDT proceedings, including advocacy services at interim and substantive hearings
- SRA authorisation issues including applications for COLP, COFA and Manager authorisation, applications for ABS, and firm recognition and applications to the Roll of Solicitors
- Compliance advice, including business models, firms’ policies and procedures, and increasing instructions
- Acting for a number of top-50 UK law firms
- Advising a boutique law firm requiring highly specialised compliance advice
- Advising COLPs considering whether (and if so, how) to make a report to the SRA
- Acting for the joint principals of a London firm facing disciplinary proceedings
- Acting for a number of individual solicitors accused of dishonesty, Accounts Rules breaches and other breaches of the professional rules of conduct
- Acting for the partner of a firm intervened into by the SRA
- Advising an international property business establishing an ABS
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Jonathan Greensmith of Keystone Law is a regulatory law specialist who acts for solicitors in professional discipline matters. A source states: “He’s good and very knowledgeable.” Chambers UK 2019
Jonathan Greensmith of Keystone Law aids solicitors and law firms in dealing with SRA investigations and regularly appears before the SDT. Sources comment: “He’s very good; he fights hard for his clients.” Chambers UK 2018
Jonathan Greensmith of Keystone Law is an experienced practitioner specialising in representation before the SRA. Sources would “definitely recommend him for his intelligent approach.” Chambers UK 2017
Jonathan “exudes a cool, calm and collected attitude which puts his clients at ease.” Chambers UK 2016
“Jonathan gets very good results and knows how to argue cases effectively.” Chambers UK 2015
Member of the Solicitors Assistance Scheme
Jonathan qualified as a solicitor in 2008. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2015, he worked at the following firms:
- Russell Jones & Walker
- Allen & Overy