Jonathan is a highly experienced marine and superyacht law specialist, with a broad legal practice that focuses on both the domestic and international yachting sector. His client base comprises banks and private clients in the yacht and superyacht industry. In addition, Jonathan advises marine businesses, crew and other leisure marine operators such as yacht management companies and marina owners.
Jonathan lectures regularly and is an examiner on the MCA Master Yachts course for aspiring superyacht captains. He is a regular speaker at events in the UK and overseas where he provides seminars for the British Marine Federation (BMF), the Maritime Training Academy (MTA) and the International Institute of Marine Surveyors (IIMS) and has written a number of diploma publications for the MTA and for the MCA Master Yachts course.
Prior to becoming a solicitor, Jonathan spent twelve years at sea as a navigating officer with BP Shipping and then as a submarine officer in the Royal Navy.
He is always available, he has a great knowledge of the marine industry and is very professional. He has an extensive understanding of domestic and international yachting.
Chambers High Net Worth 2020
As a former navigating officer for the Royal Navy, Hadley-Piggin is steeped in the maritime world and, according to one source, 'his knowledge of marine and yacht law is second to none.' He is known for advising banks, owners and buyers in the superyacht sector. He also lectures around the world on the MCA Master Yachts course for aspiring superyacht captains. Peers say he 'knows his stuff inside out' and is a 'very competent and easy person to work with.'
Chambers High Net Worth 2016
I have worked closely alongside Jonathan on numerous occasions over the last 5 years, including two yacht sales and 2 new yacht purchases. Simply put in every aspect I have found him highly knowledgeable, professional, courteous and organised. Therefore I would have no hesitation in recommending him to anyone.
M/Y Thumper 40m Sunseeker
Thank you for your expert care and attention, it is refreshing to work with a solicitor who speaks plain English and can translate this into an effective legal document that I can now use to expand my business further both here in the UK and internationally. The patient manner in which you answered all my questions and then revised the Agreement to reflect my wishes and needs was also greatly appreciated.
Full Member ABYA Yacht Broker
Jonathan Hadley-Piggin of Keystone Law recently assisted us in the purchase of a new build Riva motor yacht. He also assisted the buyer in relation to crewing and flagging. We were impressed with Jonathan’s knowledge of the yachting market – a new venture for us, and his clear constructive advice which was invaluable, especially when dealing with numerous entities during the build and delivery process. We would have no hesitation in using his services again.
Maroon Capital Limited
From day one of the appointment Jonathan drove the deal forward effectively, with outstanding response times to all parties. He is very knowledgeable in marine law which assisted greatly in what transpired to be a non-standard finance arrangement. Jonathan is both professional and approachable and we would highly recommend his services to others.
Director, Browne Craine
Jonathan is a highly qualified professional, very responsive with a positive attitude to overcome obstacles. Jonathan’s experience and knowledge of the yachting sector provides you with a sense of peace and confidence that you are working with a highly regarded and trusted specialist. I would have no hesitation in recommending Jonathan to anyone.
Director, Business Development
- Yachting and superyacht law
- Marine litigation
- Collision and salvage claims
- Asset finance and banking
Yacht Financing, Sales & Purchases
- Advised a major French bank in financing a number of superyachts from 30m to 65m.
- Assisted in the purchase of a 30m yacht in Croatia as part of a company share deal.
- Acted for a Cayman’s company on a £2.5m loan for a Swan sailing yacht and the purchase at £4.5m.
- Acted for the Italian borrower in finance under the Maltese Leasing Scheme of a 33m sailing yacht.
- Acted for an Irish buyer of a new-build 28m Riva yacht.
- Represented the purchaser in the purchase of a 22m wooden sailing sloop.
- Acted for the buyer in the new build of a 35m Italian superyacht.
- Advised an Irish Family Office, acting for the one of Ireland’s wealthiest individuals in the purchase of a new build superyacht in Italy.
- Advised a Bahamas based buyer of the construction contract for a 40m new build yacht for £11.5m.
- Acted on a simultaneous sale and purchase of two 30m yachts in Venice Italy for an English buyer.
- Acted for the seller of a 60m superyacht in relation to the loan finance, yacht management and sale.
- Acted for Receivers in the bridging finance negotiations for a 32m superyacht pending sale.
- Acted for blue-chip client, CGL France, part of Societe Generale, on the repossessions of superyachts in Turkey and Ireland.
- Acted for Superyacht Tenders & Toys Ltd providing wide-ranging legal advice to this growing firm. This has included drafting commercial contracts, setting up a new division and assisting in dispute resolution.
- Advised a major worldwide yacht distributor on its distributor agreement.
- Advised major yacht distributor Sunseeker London Group on a number of marine related and commercial matters assisting its 38 offices in Europe and North Africa.
- Reviewed terms and conditions for a large marina-owning client.
- Acted in the build contract for a classic wooden sailing yacht to be built in phases.
- Advised on an insurance claim when a marina damaged a yacht during lifting.
- Acted for crew member of a super yacht in the successful personal injury claim for a serious back injury gaining over £600k without the need to go to court.
- Acted for the owner of a converted warship – now super yacht in a professional negligence claims against the naval architect.
- Acted in two large LMAA arbitration claims where the issues are faulty yachts on purchase. Claims of £4m.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised by The Legal 500 (2018-2023) for Shipping
Recognised in Chambers High Net Worth 2021 and 2022 for Yachts & Superyachts
“Very easy to communicate with. He has always been really good with clients, and is good at turning things around. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him.” Chambers High Net Worth 2022
Jonathan Hadley-Piggin provides “sound, effective, economic and well-balanced legal support” Chambers High Net Worth 2021
“He has extensive understanding of domestic and international yachting and is a reliable and excellent lawyer.” Chambers High Net Worth 2021
“He’s very knowledgeable on yachts and the market and always communicates very clearly on the legal position.” Chambers High Net Worth 2021
“Jonathan Hadley-Piggin is a fantastic professional that greatly assists us in all endeavours. His expertise is unparalleled and he has become a trusted associate.” The Legal 500 2021
Recognised in Chambers High Net Worth 2020 for Yachts & Superyachts
“He is always available, he has a great knowledge of the marine industry and is very professional. He has an extensive understanding of domestic and international yachting.” Chambers High Net Worth 2020
Recommended in the Superyacht Services Guide 2019
Recognised by Best Lawyers (UK) in the practice area of Shipping Law (2009 – 2023)
Captain’s Recommended in the Superyacht Services Guide 2018 & 2017
Jonathan Hadley-Piggin is recognised by the Legal 500 2017 for Insurance & Reinsurance Litigation and Shipping.
Recommended by buyers, brokers, yards and other lawyers on Superyacht Investor as one of the World’s Leading Superyacht Lawyers.
Jonathan Hadley-Piggin is a specialist maritime lawyer and works extensively in the yachting industry. He recently joined Keystone Law from Keates Ferris. As a former navigating officer for the Royal Navy, Hadley-Piggin is steeped in the maritime world and, according to one source, “his knowledge of marine and yacht law is second to none.” He is known for advising banks, owners and buyers in the superyacht sector. He also lectures around the world on the MCA Master Yachts course for aspiring superyacht captains. Peers say he “knows his stuff inside out” and is a “very competent and easy person to work with.” Chambers HNW Guide 2016
Jonathan Hadley-Piggin advises owners, buyers and banks in the superyacht sector, as well as charter and management companies in the marine leisure industry. Clients highlight his “clear advice” and “excellent response times”. Chambers UK 2016
Member of the Professional Yachtsmen Association (PYA)
Member of the Royal Institute of Navigation (MRIN)
Member of the Nautical Institute (MNI)
Associate Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (ACI Arb)
Member of British Marine and Superyacht UK
Member of the Yacht Brokers, Designers and Surveyors Association (YBDSA)
Liveryman and Freeman of the City of London Member of the International Superyacht Society
Jonathan qualified as a solicitor in 1995. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2016, he worked at the following firms:
- Lester Aldridge
- Stephenson Harwood