Jonathan specialises in resolving professional negligence claims and has done so for over 15 years. In that time, he has acted on claims against a wide range of professionals including solicitors, accountants, insurance brokers, financial advisers, surveyors, structural engineers, project managers, estate agents, health & safety consultants and IT consultants.
Having previously defended such claims for professional indemnity insurers, Jonathan now acts exclusively for claimants and uninsured defendants, both in relation to claims and any policy disputes arising from them.
Due to his background experience, and because he acts for both claimants and defendants, Jonathan possesses a rare appreciation of the issues and pitfalls that arise in professional negligence claims. This enables him to provide his clients with intelligent solutions, aimed at resolving claims as favourably and efficiently as possible.
- Professional negligence claims
- Professional indemnity policy disputes
- ADR, including mediation
- Acted in a £32m claim against solicitors following the failure of the CVA of a well-known fashion house.
- Acted in a £2.4m claim against accountants following an audit that failed to report fraud by a managing director.
- Acted in a £2.1m claim against insurance brokers following a hotel fire and the declining of insurance cover.
- Acted in a £160,000 claim against financial advisers following the loss of income and capital expected from a private investment portfolio.
- Acted in a £350,000 claim against surveyors arising from a failure to correctly value residential property.
- Acted in a £10.4m claim against project managers following the redevelopment of an exclusive country house hotel.
- Acted in a £3m claim against structural engineers following the demolition of property after a gas explosion and fire.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Jonathan Watmough of Keystone Law advises claimants and uninsured defendants in various professional negligence claims and policy disputes. Clients benefit from his experience in defending claims for professional indemnity insurers.Chambers UK 2019
Jonathan Watmough is also recognised by Chambers UK 2018 and is described as ‘very pleasant, patient and understanding’.
Jonathan has been repeatedly recommended by The Legal 500. In the 2017 edition he is praised for his ‘superb eye for detail and commercial mind’ and for ‘always thinking one step ahead‘, while in the 2016 edition he is described as ‘fantastic‘.
In addition, Jonathan is also a certified member of the Professional Negligence Lawyers Association.
Jonathan qualified as a solicitor in 2003. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2017, he worked at the following firms:
- Bond Dickinson
- Mills & Reeve
- DAC Beachcroft