Louise is a disputes solicitor with a distinct specialism in domestic and international civil fraud, cryptocurrency, and asset recovery. The cases she advises on often involve tracing and recovering the proceeds of fraud on behalf of claimants. She has particular experience acting on cases where there are criminal, restraint, or regulatory proceedings running in parallel.
Louise is also an expert in company shareholder disputes, corporate and financial litigation, fraudulent litigation, misrepresentation, bribery and corruption. She supports clients caught up in collective investment schemes, Ponzi and advance fee fraud schemes, employee frauds, insolvency litigation, breach of trust, and directors’ duties.
Many of the cases Louise works on are multi-jurisdictional and can be high-profile or sensitive investigations.
Louise’s clients are leading global businesses, professional bodies and international organisations, as well as ultra-high-net-worth individuals and entrepreneurial businesses.
- Civil fraud
- Commercial disputes
- Reputation management
- Shareholder disputes
- Financial disputes
- Acted for a shareholder in a cryptocurrency business dealing with cross-border disputes and allegations of large-scale fraud.
- Taken on a number of UK-based, European and global clients who have lost funds as part of the FTX collapse and is the go-to English solicitor for guidance on all aspects of crypto currency fraud. Advised investors on their legal action, reviewing which legal FTX entity their claim is against, and whether they need to file in the US bankruptcy, or whether they have a claim in fraud against the corporate entity and/or directors of the business. This case is thought to be the globe’s biggest fraud; it has been said to be more serious, and a bigger, far wider fraud than the Maddoff Ponzi Scheme case. It is the biggest financial scandal of all time and unprecedented.
- Leading solicitor for crypto litigation (recently voted in the top 50 city crypto professionals awards). She has acted for many clients (individuals, corporates, funds) in tracing and recovering stolen crypto assets, including securing freezing injunctions and disclosure orders against many crypto exchanges across the globe. Some of Louise’s cases are leading cases in this sector. Her wider teams of experts and counsel includes the world’s most renown.
- Won a claim against a Cypriot Company for fraudulent cryptocurrency trading. The company purported to have licence with the FSA to conduct brokerage services in the UK. In actual fact, the money was fraudulently invested onto the Blockchain.
- Acted as a negotiator between the client and crypto exchange to secure client funds. This was due to a breach of their duties as a trustee.
- Advised a new crypto business on the sale of its token and whether they are exposing themselves to a litigation risk, through whether the company needs to be FCA regulated and what this means, whether the business model and tokens fall within the regulatory regime, whether the tokens offered constitute unregulated tokens or e-money tokens, and whether the offering and issuing of coins/tokens falls within the recent White Paper review.
- Louise has shared her expertise on crypto fraud and the legal process to recovery of crypto assets through TV news pieces and documentaries including BBC, CoinDesk, Sky News, Fox News, Fox News and CNBC. In addition, Louise has written pieces for The Financial Times, The Telegraph, The Guardian, The Times, Metro and legal publications such as The Verdict. Further to this, Louise has delivered training sessions for British Police Forces to detail the process of civil recovery of crypto assets.
- Acted for the defendant in two sets of proceedings involving an alleged boiler room fraud. Successfully discharged a worldwide freezing injunction obtained against the client in both actions which involved connected proceedings in multi-jurisdictions.
- Acted in a complex, multi-jurisdictional, high-value, multi-party fraud claim involving the reclaim of withholding tax on shares, with over 100 defendants and linked proceedings in the US, Dubai and Malaysia.
- Acted for a shareholder in a claim involving allegations that the company was utilised for personal enrichment and unlawful activities, involving allegations of money laundering, fraud, and corruption.
- Acted for the client in a claim involving a fraudulent scam with the sale of a property. Legal proceedings were issued to recover the property, and a freezing injunction was successfully obtained. The case involves legal issues of deceit, conspiracy and fraudulent misrepresentation, and breach of trust.
- Instructed to deal with a claim in the High Court for an NPO Order against Barclays relating to the proceeds paid into a Barclays Bank account in London in the sum of £3.7m relating to a fraudulent transaction, involving APP fraud.
- Instructed in many high-profile fraud investigation and corruption claims, including serious organised criminal gangs across the globe.
- Acted for an FCA-regulated money exchange company on a high-value, complex, cross-border dispute that resulted from the client’s appointment as trustee to a number of international investment schemes. The scheme did not perform and following allegations of running a Ponzi Scheme, has seen three suits brought by US and Australian investors.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised in Citywealth’s Top 50 Crypto Professionals
Recognised by Who’s Who Legal 2024 for Commercial Litigation
Recognised in The Legal 500 as a Leading Individual for Commercial Litigation: Mid Market (2023-2024)
Recognised in The Legal 500 for Fraud: Civil (2023-2024)
“Louise Abbott delivers niche expertise in cryptocurrency fraud claims and the recovery of blockchain assets.” The Legal 500 2024
“Louise Abbott is a highly professional practitioner, who brings a realism and practical approach to her cases. Her client care is exceptional.” The Legal 500 2023
“Louise Abbott is a superb practitioner in the fields of commercial litigation and civil fraud. She is knowledgeable and bright, hardworking and highly effective. She is also very good to work with and a good member of a team.” The Legal 500 2023
“Louise Abbott – exceptional hands-on commitment to the case in hand and round-the-clock availability. Support where needed and excellent value for money.” The Legal 500 2023
“Louise Abbott – an effective litigator who is able to manage difficult clients well and can get to grips with complex litigation speedily.” The Legal 500 2023
“In my experience, Louise Abbott is a superb practitioner in the fields of commercial litigation and civil fraud. She is knowledgeable and bright, hard-working and highly effective. She is also very good to work with and a good member of a team.” The Legal 500 2023
Recommended in The Legal 500 2020 for Commercial Litigation
Recommended in The Legal 500 for London: Crime, Fraud and Licensing – Fraud Civil, and London: Dispute Resolution – Commercial Litigation
Member of the Commercial Fraud Lawyers Association
Founder of the LB Business Network
Louise qualified as a solicitor in 2003. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2020, she was Head of Commercial Litigation and Civil Fraud at Howard Kennedy.