Lucy is a commercial lawyer with particular expertise in digital media, technology, ecommerce and digital publishing. Lucy draws on these different specialisms to advise businesses which are technology based, transact online or publish content digitally. Throughout her career, Lucy has built up a client base of professionals and household names across TV, publishing, online retail and the music industry whom she advises on a range of legal issues and business affairs.
Prior to joining Keystone, Lucy worked both in private practice and in-house for global music and media companies (EMI and BBC Worldwide) which enabled her to broaden her business skills and commercial acumen so that Lucy’s legal advice is based on a true appreciation of her client’s motivations and challenges.
She also speaks German, having lived and studied in Berlin.
I have no hesitation at all in recommending Lucy. She's focused, sharp, dedicated and a really good lawyer. Her knowledge of the digital market, publishing and gaming is also very strong.
Chris Kerwin, Director of Publishing
It's a cliché, but Lucy has a can-do attitude, and she always sought the most appropriate solutions with her very broad-range thinking. She was immensely reliable, warm and approachable.
Vic Grimshaw, Editor
Lucy's attention to detail is meticulous and her ability to bring a wide range of thinking into so many situations goes way beyond her excellent legal skills and experience.
Ruth Katz, Director of Content Protection
- Commercial law and agreements of all types
- Data protection advice
- Technology agreements of all types
- Online consumer-facing issues, such as: terms and conditions; privacy; behavioral tracking and targeted advertising; and user generated content
- Drafting online terms and conditions and privacy policies for websites and apps
- Procuring and engaging software developers and design agencies for major software/ platform development projects
- Advising on app platform requirements, including for digital magazines, games and news apps, and free, freemium and paid apps
- Web publishing, including content creation, the incorporation of third-party tech, moderation of content, advertising and traffic creation strategies
- Advice on social media use, covering issues such as moderation, non- infringing posts and brand protection
- Digital partnerships and affiliate deals
- Negotiating digital distribution and syndication deals, whether music, audio visual content, articles, images, or a combination thereof
- Online advertising and marketing arrangements
- Advising on TV and Podcast Production Agreements
- Licensing book and magazine titles to international publishing partners
- Content commissioning of all types – whether acting for the agency or the client
- Acting for social influencers and brands who wish to engage them
- Negotiated technology licences for ad serving on flagship websites such as BBC.com (the international version of BBC.co.uk), BBCGoodFood.com and TopGear.com.
- All aspects of the re-launch of the online shop for aglobal book publisher, from the platform development through to paymentproviders and consumer sales terms.
- Advising international publishers and industry bodieson GDPR compliance.
- Supporting in- house advertising sales teams with TVand online campaigns, including content creation and standard terms/insertion orders and programmatic
- Negotiating a groundbreaking deal to air BBCprogramming on a peer-to-peer network.
- Agreeing tripartite digital affiliate deals between themajor UK supermarkets and BBCgoodfood.com to enable seamless onlinegrocery shopping, licensing a technology platform developed by a thirdparty.
- Working with a global travel publisher to implementaffiliate deals and partnerships across their premium website content.
- Procuring agencies and negotiating high-value websitesoftware redevelopment and relaunch agreements for major brands such asBBC Earth, Dr Who, Top Gear and Good Food.
- Advising on the development and publication of a hostof major UK apps for the BBC, including smart TV apps, news, iPlayer andgames apps.
- Agreeing terms with content discovery platforms.
- Licensing content to/ from online publishers.
- Advised BBCShop.com on compliance with online sellingregulations for digital and physical products, and working closely withtax advisers to ascertain global sales tax compliance for digital andvirtual in-game product sales.
- Advised a leading UK news publisher on its programmatic advertising arrangements.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised by the Legal 500 2018 for Commercial Contracts, Media and Entertainment and Sport
“Commercial approach” Legal 500 2018
“Extremely thorough, efficient and very likeable” Legal 500 2018
“Excellent knowledge” Legal 500 2018
Lucy Blick-Jones is recognised by the Legal 500 2017.
Lucy qualified as a solicitor in 2002. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2016, she worked at the following firms:
- BBC Worldwide
- EMI Group
- Mayer Brown