Lucy is a commercial lawyer with particular expertise in digital media, technology, ecommerce and digital publishing. Lucy draws on these different specialisms to advise businesses which are technology based, transact online or publish content digitally. Throughout her career, Lucy has built up a client base of professionals and household names across TV, publishing, online retail and the music industry whom she advises on a range of legal issues and business affairs.
Prior to joining Keystone, Lucy worked both in private practice and in-house for global music and media companies (EMI and BBC Worldwide) which enabled her to broaden her business skills and commercial acumen so that Lucy’s legal advice is based on a true appreciation of her client’s motivations and challenges.
She also speaks German, having lived and studied in Berlin.
I have no hesitation at all in recommending Lucy. She's focused, sharp, dedicated and a really good lawyer. Her knowledge of the digital market, publishing and gaming is also very strong.
Chris Kerwin, Director of Publishing
It's a cliché, but Lucy has a can-do attitude, and she always sought the most appropriate solutions with her very broad-range thinking. She was immensely reliable, warm and approachable.
Vic Grimshaw, Editor
Lucy's attention to detail is meticulous and her ability to bring a wide range of thinking into so many situations goes way beyond her excellent legal skills and experience.
Ruth Katz, Director of Content Protection
- Commercial law and agreements of all types
- Data protection advice
- Technology agreements of all types
- Online consumer-facing issues, such as: terms and conditions; online sales terms; privacy compliance; and user generated content
- Advising publishers (supply side) on ad tech and programmatic arrangements
- Procuring and engaging software developers and design agencies for major software/platform development/re-development projects
- Advising on app platform requirements, including for digital magazines, games and news apps, and free, freemium and paid apps
- Web publishing, including content creation, the incorporation of third-party tech, moderation of content, advertising and traffic creation strategies
- Advice on social media, covering issues such as moderation, non- infringing posts, the use of social influencers and brand protection
- Digital partnerships and affiliate deals
- Negotiating digital distribution, licensing and syndication deals, whether for music, audio visual content, articles, images, or a combination thereof
- Online advertising and marketing arrangements
- Advising on Podcast Production Agreements
- Licensing book and magazine titles to international publishing partners
- Content commissioning of all types – whether acting for the agency or the client
- Supporting in- house advertising sales teams with TV and online campaigns, including content creation and standard terms/insertion orders and programmatic.
- Negotiating a groundbreaking deal to air BBC programming on a peer-to-peer network.
- Procuring agencies and negotiating high-value website software redevelopment and relaunch agreements for major brands such as BBC Earth, Dr Who, Top Gear and Good Food.
- Advising on the development and publication of a host of major UK apps for the BBC, including smart TV apps, news, iPlayer and games apps.
- Negotiated technology licences for ad serving on flagship websites such as BBC.com (the international version of BBC.co.uk), BBCGoodFood.com and TopGear.com.
- All aspects of the re-launch of the online shop for a global book publisher, from the platform development through to payment providers and consumer sales terms.
- Advising international publishers and industry bodies on GDPR compliance.
- Working with a global travel publisher to implement affiliate deals and partnerships across their premium website content.
- Agreeing terms with content discovery platforms.
- Licensing content to/ from online publishers.
- Agreeing tripartite digital affiliate deals between the major UK supermarkets and BBCgoodfood.com and to enable seamless online grocery shopping, licensing a technology platform developed by a third party.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised by The Legal 500 (2022-2023) for Media & Entertainment
“Lucy Blick-Jones is excellent – thorough, expert, commercial and a very safe pair of hands.” The Legal 500 2023
“Lucy Blick-Jones goes the extra mile for her clients, and she is always readily available to provide invaluable advice. She has a broad knowledge base about our particular industry and her general business sense means that we can be confident in the service she is providing.” The Legal 500 2022
Recognised by the Legal 500 2018 for Commercial Contracts, Media and Entertainment and Sport
“Commercial approach” Legal 500 2018
“Extremely thorough, efficient and very likeable” Legal 500 2018
“Excellent knowledge” Legal 500 2018
Lucy Blick-Jones is recognised by the Legal 500 2017.
Lucy qualified as a solicitor in 2002. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2016, she worked at the following firms:
- BBC Worldwide
- EMI Group
- Mayer Brown