Mamuna is a London-based international private wealth and tax lawyer, representing high-net-worth and ultra-high-net worth families in the UK and globally. She has an established client base representing esteemed families throughout the Middle East, the Gulf States and beyond.
Mamuna’s expertise includes offering advice on succession planning, wealth preservation, asset protection, tax, cross-border estate administration and the acquisition of UK residential properties.
By regularly travelling to meet clients and contacts and hosting industry events, Mamuna has established close relationships with a range of UK and international experts. She works closely with embassies, wealth managers, tax advisors, family offices, property agents, brokers and private banks to offer international families a holistic, bespoke service.
- High-net-worth private wealth and tax advisory
- Tax planning for UK and non-UK domiciled individuals
- Wealth preservation and asset protection
- Property tax and structuring
- UK tax compliance, advisory and filings: Stamp Duty Land Tax, Inheritance Tax, Capital Gains Tax, Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings
- Domicile and statutory residency advice
- De-enveloping property holding structures
- Wills, inheritance tax and estate planning
- Islamic (Sharia) compliant wills and succession planning
- Powers of Attorney
- Lifetime gifting
- UK and cross-border complex probate and estate administration
- Property tax
- Tax and structuring advice on the acquisition of UK residential properties
- Ownership structures, including personal names, partnership, company and trusts
- HMRC rules surrounding the SDLT and ATED reliefs
- Incorporation of UK property rental companies for international investors
- Gifting of properties amongst family members and supporting with the transfer of equity
- Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) advice on complex, high-value, prime central London residential property transactions
- Capital Gains Tax advice and filings
- Registering non-resident landlords under the HMRC NRL scheme.
- Filing of annual ATED returns for companies that own high-value residential property, including retrospective ATED returns to HMRC
- Advised an UHNW Middle Eastern family on succession and tax rules applicable for a deceased client with multiple assets in different jurisdictions, including the UK rules of intestacy, Sharia succession, French, Panamanian and Gibraltar succession rules.
- Dealt with the foreign probate and de-enveloping of assets held by a deceased director and shareholder in an offshore corporate entity and the transfer of the assets to the beneficiaries under Sharia law.
- Instructed to act as the lead legal counsel for the probate and estate administration of an ultra-high-net-worth Middle Eastern deceased holding a substantial UK property portfolio in various entities and different jurisdictions.
- Obtained probate for an UHNW individual in various jurisdictions and advised on the application of UK and Sharia succession law.
- Provided estate planning, succession and tax advice to family members resident and domiciled in the Middle East in relation to their UK properties.
- Acted in gifting UK properties from the patriarch of a Middle Eastern family to the younger generation for succession planning.
Prepared the relevant estate planning documents, including Deeds of Gift, Declarations of Trust, Capital Gains Tax Returns, Wills and Lasting Powers of Attorney for seven Middle Eastern property co-owners.
- Advised Middle Eastern Royalty in relation to the purchase of UK properties. Provided UK tax and structuring advice on the ownership structures and created the appropriate property holding structure.
- Worked alongside real estate agents, private banks and instructed real estate lawyers on behalf of Middle Eastern Royalty on a wide range of property transactions.
- Drafted complex wills for a high-net-worth UK resident and domiciled individuals, covering business asset trusts and discretionary trusts.
- Advised on and prepared Sharia (Islamic) complaint UK wills for families based in the Gulf in relation to their UK assets.
- De-enveloped a structure holding UK residential property in a BVI company. Provided the UK tax advice, filed the ATED and CGT returns, and arranged for the liquidation of the company and transfer of the property into the personal names of the beneficial owners.
- Advised international clients based in the Far East and Middle East on the UK statutory residency rules and pre-arrival UK tax planning.
- Provided SDLT advice in the reliefs available to a Middle Eastern property investor on the purchase of a development block with nine residential properties.
- Advised a HNW Middle Eastern individual who was investing in UK property for the first time on UK tax and structuring advice – incorporating a UK property company and managing the real estate transactions.
- Reclaimed the additional SDLT surcharge paid for a UK resident property owner on their new main residence.
- Advised a new UK resident on the SDLT reclaim available for the non-resident surcharge paid and applying for the refund.
- Advised a UK individual on the purchase of a new home and the availability of SDLT multiple dwellings relief as the property had a subsidiary annex.
- Advised on the transfer of a property portfolio held by a family based in Africa from their personal names to a corporate structure.
- Filed capital gains tax returns for an international property investor on their gift of eight UK properties.
Included in The Muslim 100 Power List Parliamentary Review – Trailblazer (2018)
Awarded the Power 100 Legal Excellence Award (2018)
Awarded ‘Young Achiever of the Year’ at the inaugural British Muslim Awards 2013
Mamuna qualified as a solicitor in 2010. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2022, she worked at the following firms:
- Child & Child
- Douglas-Jones Mercer