Marc is a very experienced lawyer with over 40 years’ experience in a wide variety of areas, including banking, capital markets, derivatives, real estate finance, restructurings, insolvency and dispute resolution. He has advised a large variety of banks and borrowers and other entities in corporate and real estate and other financings and matters.
Highly energetic”, an “experienced and intelligent advisor”, a “good lateral thinker” and “100% on your side in each transaction
The Legal 500
- Capital markets
- Dispute resolution
- Real estate finance
- Acted for Tesco on its investment grade loan work for over 25 years, including its first syndicated loan and subsequent self-arranged bilateral and syndicated loan facilities, including a syndicated £1,750 million self-arranged 7-year revolving credit facility.
- Acted for GUS on its investment grade loan facilities, including its bilateral facilities and a self-arranged £900 million 5-year revolving credit facility.
- Acted for Absa Bank on numerous syndicated loan facilities, including a US$320 million syndicated loan facility.
- Acted for Drillgreat on its £197 million facility to finance the takeover of Monsoon.
- Acted for Absa Bank in relation to numerous loans by it.
- Acted for Tesco on its public bond work for 25 years, including its first eurobond issue and its first euro note programme and its first issues of Yankee bonds.
- Acted for Tesco in relation to its £15,000 million euro note programme and in relation to numerous issues under its euro note programmes, including an issue of £500 million 50-year bonds.
- Acted for Tesco in relation to its euro commercial paper programmes and its guarantee of the Conventional and Islamic Commercial Paper and Medium Term Note Programmes of Tesco Stores Malaysia.
- Acted for LEP St Paul’s Vista in relation to the provision of substitute security under the terms of is public bond issue on the sale of the development.
- Acted for Northavon Investments on its £77.6 million secured bonds issued in connection with the acquisition of the Sun Life Headquarters Building.
- Acted for Tesco in relation to its ISDA Master Agreements.
- Acted for Tesco in relation to numerous trades under its ISDA Master Agreements.
- Acted for numerous borrowers in relation to hedging under numerous loan facilities.
- Acted for Absa Bank in preparing its standard-form ISDA Master Agreements.
- Acted as the banking and derivatives expert approved by the FSA (now FCA) in relation to an Independent Review of Interest Rate Hedging Products sold by Clydesdale and Yorkshire banks to UK small and medium-sized enterprises.
- Acted for British Land Tesco on its real estate joint venture financings for 15 years.
- Acted for Shopping Centres Limited in relation to several syndicated loans and related hedging.
- Acted for Helaba in relation to numerous loans and related hedging.
- Acted for West Immo in relation to numerous loans and related hedging.
- Acted for Arrowcroft in relation to numerous loans and related hedging.
- Acted on major restructurings for the airline, Dan-Air, and for the freight forwarding and logistics company, LEP Group.
- Acted for the property investor and developer, Imry, on two major restructurings opposite Barclays Bank.
- Acted for telecoms startup Ionica Group in relation to the appointment of administrators over its operating company and subsequently acted for Ionica in a ground-breaking High Court-approved scheme of arrangement.
- Acted for Absa Bank on various workouts and insolvencies.
- Acted for Bank of Boston on the insolvent administration of two leasing and hire purchase companies
- Acted for Absolute Capital Management Holdings on an independent review into the investment strategy of certain of its equity funds.
- Acted for Ionica Group in relation to proceedings in the US to dismiss an application for Chapter 11 proceedings by the high-yield bondholders.
- Acted as the independent expert approved by the FSA (now FCA) in relation to an Independent Review of Interest Rate Hedging Products sold by Clydesdale and Yorkshire Banks to UK small and medium-sized enterprises.
- Acted against The Secretary of State for the Environment in relation to a successful action for judicial review challenging a wrongful grant of planning permission.
- Acted against Sevenoaks District Council in the planning enforcement case of R v Sevenoaks District Council, ex parte Palley where the local authority’s failure to take enforcement action was successfully challenged for the first time in judicial review proceedings before the High Court, thereby making legal history.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Marc has been listed as a leading individual by Chambers UK in Banking and Finance and has been listed as recommended by The Legal 500 in Bank Lending and Capital Markets.
In Chambers UK he has been reported as “highly energetic”, an “experienced and intelligent advisor”, a “good lateral thinker” and “100% on your side in each transaction”.
He has been reported as “excellent” by The Legal 500 under its Debt Capital Markets section.
Marc is or has been listed in Who’s Who in the City, Who’s Who in the Law, Who’s Who in European Corporate Law, The Estates Gazette Guide to People in Property, and Debrett’s People of Today.
Recognised in Best Lawyers (UK) for Banking and Finance Law and Capital Markets Law (2014 – 2024)
Marc qualified as a solicitor in 1978. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2020, he worked at the following firms:
- Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner
- Allen & Overy