Martin is Consultant Solicitor in the Dispute Resolution team and has a wide-ranging practice which includes general litigation and property litigation. Experienced at all levels of the court system, he is also well versed in the processes of adjudication, arbitration and mediation.
His general litigation practice includes contractual disputes, debt collection, defamation, directors’ duties and fraud, as well as intellectual property – including trademark infringement, breach of copyright and passing off – and matters relating to partnerships and shareholders.
Martin’s expertise in property-related matters includes disputes involving landlords and tenants of both commercial and residential properties, as well as boundaries, rights of way, restrictive covenants, rights of light and other easements. He also has experience of planning and building disputes and negligence claims concerning professionals in the property sector.
With a flexible approach to funding, Martin has operated under conditional and contingent fee agreements, as well as actions funded by legal expense insurance and third parties.
- General commercial litigation
- Contract disputes
- Commercial landlord and tenant disputes
- Property, boundary and access disputes
- Civil fraud
- Building disputes
- Professional negligence claims
- Intellectual property disputes
- Planning disputes
- Public law
- Debt collection and enforcement
- Coordinated debt collection strategies for companies and sensitive service providers, including care homes, private schools and estate agents.
- Acted in the enforcement of a loan agreement in respect of a luxury motor yacht business.
- Acted in contractual disputes for a mobile telecoms company.
- Acted in a claim for a contested commission for services in respect of offshore oil exploration.
- Successfully opposed two major windfarm developments at public inquiries.
Propery & Construction
- Advised on a contested lease renewal of a Central London restaurant premises.
- Advised on protecting the property interests of a London restaurant chain.
- Successfully enforced an agreement for lease, including in the Court of Appeal.
- Acted in a disputed joint venture in respect of a valuable Central London commercial property.
- Secured a substantial award at arbitration in respect of a withheld payment under a building contract.
- Acted in a high-profile passing-off action against a High Street chain of stores.
- Acted in a successful passing-off claim for a major online retailer.
- Developed and enforced a trademark protection strategy for a leisurewear brand.
- Secured favourable settlements for numerous clients at mediation.
- Acted in a high-profile fraud claim in connection with a modern art collection.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
- Master’s degree in Advanced Litigation
- Studying for PhD
- Accredited mediator
Martin qualified as a solicitor in 1996. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2013, he worked at the following firms: