Matthew advises entrepreneurs on complex commercial legal issues. Throughout his career, he has advised businesses and financial institutions on corporate and commercial transactions in the UK, Europe, USA, Asia and Australia. Matthew was founding executive and General Counsel for United Customer Management Solutions, a business process outsourcing company, where he was responsible for negotiating and managing a wide range of international transactions. His blend of private practice and in-house experience makes him particularly familiar with the challenges that organisations face in obtaining proactive and cost effective legal advice.
- Corporate finance transactions, such as start-ups, development capital investments, MBOs/MBIs – advising investee companies, venture capital funds and other investors
- Mergers, acquisitions and disposals of companies and businesses
- Shareholder agreements and joint ventures
- IT contracts, including reseller agreements, SaaS/SOD/ASP agreements and software licensing and development contracts
- Employment contracts and share option schemes
- Lending and other finance transactions
- Outsourcing agreements
- LLPs, LPs and general partnerships
- General commercial contracts, including distribution and agency agreements
- Acted for a Cyprus company on the sale of its shares in a Swedish technology company.
- Acted for various European private equity funds and individuals in the sale of a company providing accounting and payroll services in Hungary, Poland, Romania, Russia and Ukraine.
- Acts for an Isle of Man technology start-up raising funds from various investors, including the Isle of Man Department of Enterprise.
- Advises an early-stage company installing and operating zip wire events on its fund-raising and commercial activities.
- Advises an AIM-listed biotech company on its corporate and commercial transactions.
- Advises a company developing stem cell technology to create human organs for transplant on its fund-raising from EU and UK funds and on its intellectual property licensing transactions.
- Long-term adviser to a fast-growing technology company on its shareholder structure and on its commercial contracts in the UK and Europe.
- Long-term adviser to a well-known company in the leisure sector on its corporate affairs.
- Adviser to a company operating a chain of gyms on its fund-raising and corporate structure.
- Long-term adviser to a fast-growing company providing translation services on its corporate affairs.
- Advises an early-stage company providing easy-to-operate mobile phones and contracts to the elderly and people with disabilities, on its fund-raising rounds.
- Long-term adviser to a business angel syndicate on its various investments in early stage companies.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Matthew qualified as a solicitor in 1990. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2009, he worked at the following firms:
- SA Law
- SJ Berwin