Matthew is an experienced commercial litigator with expertise in complex financial and company disputes and international arbitration.
In his broad commercial litigation and dispute resolution practice Matthew acts for large corporate entities, funds and fund managers, SMEs and high-net-worth individuals bringing and defending claims in the High Court, Court of Appeal and under various arbitration institutions (e.g. LCIA, ICC).
Matthew has detailed knowledge and extensive experience of company-related disputes (including unfair prejudice petitions and claims against directors), contractual claims, financial markets and banking disputes, and group/collective actions and professional negligence claims. He is well versed in all forms of alternative dispute resolution (ADR) including mediation.
Matthew is a veteran user of third-party litigation funding and litigation insurance products, which help his clients to reduce and share the risk and costs associated with high-stakes litigation. He is adept at helping his clients turn their disputes and litigation risks into insurable contingent assets.
Matthew Reach is an exceptionally talented commercial litigator, focusing on high-value commercial and company disputes. Matthew is the go-to for certain litigation funders.
The Legal 500 2022
- Commercial litigation
- International arbitration
- Securities, financial services and banking disputes
- Breach of contract, trusts and fiduciary duties
- Company and shareholder claims
- Professional negligence claims
- Advised in relation to a substantial shareholders’ action in the High Court against RBS under section 90 of the Financial Services & Markets Act 2000.
- Advised on and developing a series of high-value claims against UK Government departments for unlawful charges for the provision of environmental information to the public.
- Advised on a claim by a Cayman Islands-domiciled fund against a former cornerstone investor for damages for breach of contract (alleged repudiation), including advising on the causes of action, monitoring the litigation, and dealing with the third-party funder’s exit strategy. Also appeared as a key witness for the litigation funder in successful satellite litigation relating to the funding of the claim (see Harcus Sinclair (a firm) v Alternative Real Estate Fund Limited & Others  EWHC 1193 (Ch)).
- Advised in connection with a multi-million pound claim for breach of contract against a telecommunications giant (involving the complicated issues of conspiracy to injure and intimidation).
- Advised in a substantial negligence claim against one of the UK’s largest IFA partnerships relating to a failed investment scheme.
- Advised in a multi-million pound breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty claim involving a large UK manufacturing and retail company.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised by The Legal 500 2022 for Commercial Litigation: Mid-Market
“Matthew Reach is an exceptionally talented commercial litigator, focusing on high-value commercial and company disputes. Matthew is the go-to for certain litigation funders.” The Legal 500 2022
Recognised by The Legal 500 2021 for Commercial Litigation
Recognised in The Legal 500 2020 for Commercial Litigation and Fraud: Civil
“Matthew Reach is always willing to assist clients, providing a professional and efficient legal service.” The Legal 500 2020
Recognised in The Legal 500 2018/19 for Commercial Litigation
Matthew qualified as a solicitor in 2008. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2016, he worked at the following firms:
- Sanders Solicitors
- Fisher Meredith
- Bishop & Sewell
- Berwin Leighton Paisner