Michael specialises in international transactions, in particular cross-border mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and complex commercial agreements.
Michael advises across a wide range of industry sectors and has particular expertise working with aviation and e-commerce/new media companies. He also specialises in private wealth transactions for family offices and high-net-worth individuals.
Bilingual in English and German, Michael often works with German and German-speaking clients. He is also fluent in French and reads Spanish and Italian.
Michael also advises on the corporate aspects of large commercial and shareholder disputes.
Michael Holter has a very high reputation; one client said “His response time is unbeatable, his business acumen and industry knowledge are excellent, he is a very good team player and always a great pleasure to work with.
The Legal 500 UK
Clients praised “unusually well-managed projects, combination of quality and cost, and the ability to meet tight deadlines on complex matters".
The Legal 500 UK
Clients can take faith in the fact that the “responsive, pragmatic and extremely business-oriented” Michael Holter will “always try his hardest to get the best possible solution.
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Joint ventures
- Complex commercial agreements
- Direct investments for private wealth clients
- Aviation transactions and agreements
- Technology transactions
- German-speaking clients
Aviation clients rely on Michael for his experience representing airlines and shareholders on airline acquisitions and privatisations. He is also an expert on aviation-specific agreements such as airline alliances, large-scale aircraft maintenance (MRO) and technical support/component pool agreements and transactions involving the sale and lease of airport slots at congested airports (such as London Heathrow).
- Worked on the documentation to found the Star Alliance, the largest airline alliance in the world, which now comprises more than 25 major international carriers.
- Lead UK partner for Lufthansa’s strategic investment in and acquisition of the BMI airline.
- Advised the Greek government in relation to the successful privatisation of Olympic Airways.
- Advised Lufthansa’s aircraft maintenance and repair company, Lufthansa Technik, and its subsidiaries on numerous long-term, $100+ Boeing and Airbus aircraft maintenance contracts with airlines including British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Emirates, Etihad, Qantas, Qatar and Malaysian and Virgin Airlines.
- Advises Spairliners, the 50/50 joint venture between Lufthansa Technik and AirFrance/KLM, on their long-term, high-value Airbus and Embraer aircraft component pool and support agreements SPL’s entire client base.
- Most recently, during the Covid-19 pandemic, Michael helped his aviation clients develop a radical new way of contracting and charging for their technical aircraft support.
Michael’s expertise in the media and communications sector involves advising companies on cross-border acquisitions and disposals. He has also helped his clients build out their international communications networks and infrastructure across multiple jurisdictions.
- Advised multinational consumer internet and technology company Prosus (part of the Naspers Group) in relation to the restructuring of its $1.8 billion shareholding in Russian internet portal and e-commerce conglomerate mail.ru (now VKontakte).
- Represented the Mansour Group Family Office in relation to a significant $45 million investment in Spotify.
- Acted for the Mansour Group in relation to an investment in Flubit, a UK online e-commerce platform for electronic goods.
- Represented the Naspers Group in relation to its $100+ million investment in Turkish online retail company Markafoni.
- Advised the Naspers Group in relation to the roll-out of its pay-TV encryption technology and a series of related supply agreements for set-top boxes in Europe and Africa.
- Acted for the Naspers Group in relation to its successful disposal of its MultiChoice/Nova pay-TV business in Greece.
- Negotiating $100 million sale of Radianz, a leading provider of secure electronic network facilities to the financial services industry, from Equant to Reuters plc.
- Advising the Mansour Group in relation to its exclusive distribution arrangements with BAT, Imperial Tobacco, Philip Morris and JTI in Egypt and Nigeria.
- Represented the Mansour family office in relation to its investment in the Educas group, which provides educational services in Europe, the US and Australia.
- Acted for the Mansour family office in relation to a $42 million investment in Millennium Offshore, which operates offshore accommodation platforms for the oil and gas industry.
- Represented the Mansour family office in relation to its investment in Spotify.
- Represented the Mansour Group in relation to a major settlement agreement with Philip Morris.
- Advised one of the two main beneficiaries of a €6 billion family trust in France on the corporate aspects of a major restructuring of that trust.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised in The Legal 500 UK 2017-2020 recommended in Corporate and Commercial: M&A – mid-market
The Legal 500 UK 2022 for Aviation
Recognised in Best Lawyers UK 2021 for Aviation Law
Member of British-German Chamber of Commerce
Michael qualified as a barrister at Lincoln’s Inn in 1989 before moving into private practice in 1991 where he re-qualified as a solicitor. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2022, he worked at WilmerHale (formerly Wilmer Cutler Pickering) and McDermott Will & Emery.