Nathan has two decades of experience in contentious employment law and advises a range of organisations and high-net-worth individuals. He specialises in cases concerning discrimination, whistleblowing, employment matters arising out of Financial Conduct Authority-regulated organisations, and advising clients in the hotel, education, healthcare and charity sectors.
Nathan is also an experienced governor for Ravensbourne University London, specialising in digital media and design. He sits on the Board of Governors and the Audit Committee, and Chairs the HR & RemComm.
We have used Nathan Donaldson for over 14 years. The advice we receive is always commercially focused and reflects the business partnering approach adopted by their employment team.
Chief Operating Officer, Edwardian Group
Nathan is a brilliant employment law specialist. I have worked with Nathan for over 15 years. Highly pragmatic lawyer who understands the pressures we are under to deliver results whilst staying within the law
Proprietor Independant HR Consultancy
- Breach of contract claims
- Unfair dismissal
- Maternity rights
- Public interest disclosure (‘whistleblowing’)
- Recruitment discrimination
- Restrictive covenants
- Settlement agreements
- Drafting terms and conditions of employment, contracts and staff handbooks including social media
- In-house employment law training
- Represented 4 New Square Chambers in its successful defence of the £33m claim brought by Dr Bijlani for race and disability discrimination which attracted significant legal and press coverage
- Successfully represented one of the claimants in the US class action lawsuit against Dresdner Kleinwort brought by six female employees who were seeking $1.4bn (£709m) for discrimination post-return from maternity leave
- Represented a city banker against a US bank which resulted in a settlement of £1.3m
- Successfully brought claims against easyJet and an independent garden centre for marital status discrimination
- Represented a City law firm in its defence of a sexual orientation discrimination claim
- Successfully defended an international hotel chain against a claim for transgender discrimination
- Advised a hotel group on employment issues related to the sale of 11 of its 13 hotels.
- Advised a chain of hotels in relation to making 1,300 redundancies and in its renegotiation of contractual terms.
- Advised on employment issues related to a purchase of a hotel for Curious Drakes (Brighton) Limited 2023.
- Advised on employment issues related to the purchase of a hotel for Ivymax 2 Ltd.
- Advised a billionaire on the establishment of his successful Mayfair private members’ club.
- Drafted terms of employment, contracts and staff handbooks for organisations such as Radisson (Edwardian Group London), Brookfield, ChinaWhite, Quantum Care, Ravensbourne, and Southwark College.
- Successfully defended an international hotel chain against a claim for transgender discrimination.
- Represented an investment banker who was the ‘whistleblower’ regarding a rogue trader involving multi-million-pound trade losses within a European investment bank with the matter attracting significant media and regulatory interest
- Provided a second opinion to panel insurers on merits regarding a claim of unfair dismissal by a Chief Executive of a London local authority arising out of a notorious baby abuse case
- Represented Neville Thurlbeck in his claims of unfair dismissal and whistleblowing against the News of the World
- Advised a billionaire on the establishment of his successful Mayfair private members’ club
- Successfully defended Angel Services (UK) Limited in Kimberley Group Housing Ltd v Hambley, Leena Homes Ltd and Angel Services (UK)  UKEAT/0488/07/RN;  IRLR 682, a leading TUPE service provision change case which involved an alleged transfer of a £240m Home Office Housing contract
- Drafted terms of employment, contracts and staff handbooks for organisations such as Radisson (Edwardian Group London), Brookfield, ChinaWhite, Quantum Care, Ravensbourne, and Southwark College
- Acted for Barchester Healthcare for a number of years and currently act for Quantum Care Ltd which is Hertfordshire’s largest care home provider
- Acting in a number of Employment Tribunal claims associated with the group action against care home providers, the government and regulatory agencies arising out of the mandatory vaccination scheme
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
“He is well known for his skill in handling tribunal litigation.” Chambers & Partners UK 2016
Nathan is a “very good tactician and provides practical advice.” Chambers & Partners UK, 2015
“Nathan Donaldson … earns market approval for his burgeoning employment practice which sees him represent a wide range of corporate clients. He’s spot on with regards to the law and he dispenses very sound advice.” Chambers & Partners UK, 2014
Nathan Donaldson is recognised for “thinking outside the box and devising solutions,” as well as for his “technical mastery of the law.” Legal 500, 2012
Member of the Employment Lawyers Association
Nathan qualified as a solicitor in 1998. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2018, he worked at the following firms:
- Collyer Bristow