Nicholas is an experienced corporate lawyer who advises organisations of all sizes, from family offices to international corporates, on mergers and acquisitions, disposals, joint ventures, corporate reorganisations, equity investments and shareholder arrangements, and other domestic and cross-border corporate matters (including general company law advice to directors and company secretaries).
Nicholas has experience across a wide range of industry sectors and has extensive experience in corporate real estate transactions, including acting for development managers on investment and acquisitions and disposals.
Nicholas is an established adviser to clients based in the Middle East, having worked in Doha, Abu Dhabi and Dubai.
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Investment/shareholder agreements
- Corporate real estate transactions
- Joint ventures
- Restructurings and reorganisations
- Advised a FTSE 100 company on the acquisition of a cybersecurity business.
- Advised Visa Inc. on its acquisition from approximately 3,000 financial institutions of Visa Europe Limited for €18.25bn.
- Advised a NYSE listed group on a number of private M&A transactions in the UK, including its acquisition of transportation services at various UK airports.
- Advised partners on the sale of their boutique advisory firm to a large competitor.
- Advised a UK infrastructure investment manager on a number of mid-market infrastructure investments and joint ventures.
Public M&A and Equity Capital Markets
- Advised Kennedy Wilson Holdings Inc. (the US real estate company) on its takeover of Kennedy Wilson Europe Real Estate plc for £1.5bn.
- Advised Verizon Communications on the acquisition of Fleetmatics for $2.4bn and the subsequent integration of Fleetmatics within the Verizon group structure.
- Advised Brit Insurance on its re-domiciliation from the UK to the Netherlands, and subsequent takeover.
- Advised HeidelbergCement on its £8bn acquisition of Hanson plc by way of scheme of arrangement.
- Advised Pernod Ricard on its $14.2bn takeover by way of scheme of arrangement of Allied Domecq and related “back to back” agreement for the sale of €4.1bn of assets to Fortune Brands.
Corporate Real Estate
- Advised Covivio (the French REIT, previously known as Fonciere des Murs) on its £900m acquisition of a portfolio of hotels (Principal and De Vere brands) from Starwood Capital Group.
- Advised Brookfield on its sale of 125 Old Broad Street (formerly the Stock Exchange Tower) to Blackstone.
- Advised Stanhope, alongside Mitsui Fudosan UK and the Alberta Investment Management Corporation, on a number of its development projects including BBC Television Centre, Media Village, a 15-year housing regeneration joint venture with Hammersmith and Fulham Council, and the British Library extension.
- Advised a major Hong Kong real estate developer on a number of real estate joint ventures, including the development of land in Canary Wharf.
- Advised Realstar Group on a number of its investments including LRG, a portfolio of 73 hotels purchased from the Intercontinental group, and the acquisition of student accommodation in London.
- Advised overseas real estate clients on bids for key commercial London real estate.
- Advised Visa Inc. on a large global reorganisation to integrate Visa Europe Limited and related assets.
- Advised Pernod Ricard on several multi-national reorganisations, including the integration of numerous acquired brands.
- Advised a large listed Brazilian company on a reorganisation of its overseas business, proposed corporate re-domiciliation to the UK, and listing on the LSE.
- Advised a UK household name on a complex, global tax reorganisation.
- Advised a real estate developer on the restructuring of its operations, including the redistribution of assets between investors.
- Advised on the estate of a former ruler on the disposal of assets (including large operational companies) held in multiple jurisdictions.
- Advised various families in the Middle East on the structuring of their investments and the establishment of family offices.
- Advised various businesses in the Middle East on M&A transactions.
- Advised high-net-worth individuals on their real estate investments in the UK.
- Advised a group of Middle East investors establishing a wealth management business in Europe and the Middle East.
- Advised a large public company in Qatar on the potential listing of GDRs on the London Stock Exchange.
- Advised several Middle East public companies on corporate governance.
- Advised a major Middle Eastern airline on a strategic joint venture project for its duty free business, involving the establishment of retail and food & beverage operations at a new airport in the Middle East.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
For the €18.25bn acquisition of Visa Europe Limited by Visa Inc from approximately 3,000 financial institutions across Europe (an advisory mandate Nicholas co-led): Corporate Team of the Year (The Lawyer Awards 2017), M&A Deal of the Year (IFLR Europe Awards 2017), and Corporate Team of the Year (Financial News Legal Services Awards)
Nicholas qualified as a solicitor in 2001. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2020, he worked at the following firms:
- Clifford Chance