Nick is a very experienced employment solicitor who advises on the full range of employment issues for employers. Since 1988 he has advised employers both in relation to commercial and advisory matters, and matters involving litigation between employers and employees.
Nick has represented employers in the Court of Appeal, the High Court, County Court, the Employment Tribunal and the Central Arbitration Committee as well as at ACAS. His experience includes advising on matters relating to individual employees and on collective matters, such as restructuring and collective redundancies.
Nick has also represented senior executives joining and leaving employers, or looking to move to new roles with competitors.
As a trained mediator, Nick also resolves disputes using alternative dispute resolution methods where possible.
Nick Robertson is commercial, sensible and calm in a crisis. He’s a great partner who often ends up being the voice of reason.
The Legal 500 2021
He's incredibly knowledgeable, incredibly user-friendly, dives into the issues and isn't fazed by anything.
Chambers UK 2021
- Employment disputes
- Employment contracts
- Employee consultations
- Corporate reorganisations
- Successfully defended clients against the enforcement of restrictive covenants.
- Enforced restrictive covenants against a rival employer who had poached an employee from the client.
- Advised a large charity on the conduct of consultation meetings with unions and employee representatives and on large-scale corporate reorganisations and outsourcing.
- Handled a boardroom dispute, involving the founder of a start-up which settled on favourable terms for the client after significant litigation had been fought off.
- Acted for a sporting association involved in a very high-profile departure of individuals involved with the international team, with a complete vindication for the client at the Employment Tribunal.
- Acted for the Football Association and provided regular advice on management contract issues associated with FA staff.
- Acted for Aston Villa defending the club against a claim brought by the former chief executive.
- Provided advice to employees of sports institutions.
- Advised a Premier League football club on various handbook reviews and contractual issues.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Member of the Employment Lawyers Association, the City of London Employment sub-committee and the Employment Advisory Panel for PLC
Recognised in Best Lawyers (UK) 2009 – 2022 for Employment
Recognised as a leading individual by Chambers UK, Chambers Global and The Legal 500 where he is also highlighted in its Hall of Fame annually for his work.
“He’s very down to earth and knows his stuff inside and out. Tactically he’s brilliant because he’s so experienced and has faced almost everything before. He gets to the real issues and forensically analyses them.” Chambers UK 2021
“He’s incredibly knowledgeable, incredibly user-friendly, dives into the issues and isn’t fazed by anything.” Chambers UK 2021
“He is a very gifted lawyer and an extremely effective negotiator.” Chambers UK 2021
“Nick Robertson is commercial, sensible and calm in a crisis. He’s a great partner who often ends up being the voice of reason.” The Legal 500 2021
“A trusted and practical adviser who provides innovative solutions to the challenges faced by employers.” Chambers Global 2020
Nicholas Robertson is “commercially and tactically fantastic,” according to clients, who also praise him for being “friendly, personable and interested in finding solutions.” Chambers UK 2019
“Excellent technical lawyer” Nicholas Robertson regularly advises employers on the recruitment and departure of senior employees, and also trade union issues. Clients say he is “very commercial, very experienced and gives sage advice“. Chambers UK 2018
“Nick is highly commercial and direct. He balances the legal requirements with our culture and business needs to achieve the best outcomes.” Chambers UK 2017
Nicholas Robertson is noted as being “good at presenting solutions and very good at recommending what needed to be done.” Sources also note that he fights hard for his clients, who include large international corporates. Chambers UK 2015
Ranked by Thomson Reuters’ Super Lawyers magazine for 2014, employment section; also ranked in the Top 10 list of lawyers in London
“Technically brilliant and knows his stuff inside out.” The Legal 500 2014
Nicholas Robertson is a doyen of the employment world and, in the words of one peer, “a real heavyweight.” “I think he’s probably one of the best employment lawyers you will ever find,” claimed one source, whilst others praised his commercial awareness and ability to work collaboratively. Chambers UK 2014
“Incredibly experienced, highly focused on what the client needs to achieve and really hard working.” Chambers UK 2013
“Brilliant: pragmatic, commercial and supportive.” Chambers UK 2012
“A great tactician”, “a great team player” and “a delight to work with.” Chambers UK 2011
“All-round excellence.” The Legal 500 2011
“A solution-orientated lawyer with a sophisticated knowledge of the sector.” Chambers UK 2010
“A sensible dealmaker.” The Legal 500 2010
Nick qualified as a solicitor in 1988. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2021, he worked at the following firms:
- Mayer Brown
- Hogan Lovells