Nick specialises in the resolution of complex commercial disputes often with a significant international element, representing clients in both High Court litigation and arbitration (LCIA, ICC, AAA, LME, WIPO) as well as in ADR processes including mediation and early neutral evaluation.
Nick is fluent in German and French.
- High Court commercial litigation
- International commercial arbitration (LCIA, ICC, AAA)
- Direct and indirect tax litigation
- Shareholder, partnership and directors disputes
- Founders disputes
- IT disputes
- Joint venture disputes
- Crypto and blockchain disputes
- Data protection
- Financial services
- Bribery Act
- Represented a CEO accused of inducing a breach of a $66m joint venture agreement.
- Represented a disruptive tech startup accused of inducing breach of contract.
- Advised on a multimillion-pound blockchain healthcare startup founders dispute.
- Represented a political party in high-profile ICO investigation (Operation Cederberg) into political parties’ use of data analytics and potential breaches of the Data Protection Act.
- Represented the Labour Party in relation to a challenge to the suspension of Chris Williamson MP from the Labour Party:  EWHC 2639 (QB).
- Advised on a £50 million dispute with HMRC in relation to recovery of unpaid capital allowances.
- Advised on various mediated settlements with HMRC.
- Advised on a $16 million arbitration relating to a repudiatory breach claim against a private equity owner of a number of shopping centres.
- Advised on a shareholder dispute for Edwardian Hotel Group.
- Advised on an LLP dispute for an AI-driven hedge fund.
- Advised on various matters arising out of the insolvency of Gable Insurance AG.
Energy & Natural Resources
- Advised on a $1.67 billion oil and gas dispute relating to ownership of oilfields in Kurdistan: Excalibur v Texas Keystone & Others  EWHC 2767 (Comm).
- Advised on a $12 million LCIA arbitration against a major listed oil and gas company.
- Advised on a breach of directors’ duties claim against an AIM listed oil and gas company.
- Advised on an unfair prejudice claim for a minority shareholder in a gold trading company.
- Advised on a $1 billion LCIA arbitration JOA dispute relating to non-payment of cash calls and potential forfeiture of interests in a number of Algerian oil and gas fields. Settled on confidential terms.
- Advised on a confidential dispute between a fund management group and their seed investor as to whether a revenue sharing payment hurdle had been met.
- Acted for Central European Financial Services group on the enforcement of non-performing loans.
- Advised various clients both corporate and individual on claims for the mis-selling of interest rate hedging products.
- Advised on a confidential dispute relating to failure to execute Swiss Franc stop loss orders when Swiss Central Bank removed euro currency peg.
- Advised on a claim for reimbursement of settlement monies paid out by a bank to Izodia, a software company defrauded by Dr Gerald Smith.
- Advised on a claim by a high-profile industry executive for a repudiatory breach of service contract for failure to confirm and pay bonus entitlement within parameters of the bonus scheme and claim for accelerated payment of sums due under a long term incentive plan (“LTIP”).
Cryptocurrency & Digital Assets
- Advised on a multimillion-pound dispute between the founders of a blockchain healthcare startup.
- Advised on the recovery of a significant cryptocurrency fraud.
- Advised on a cryptocurrency push payment fraud.
- Advised on a dispute surrounding NFT in game purchases.
Leading member of the Legal Business Dispute Resolution Team of the Year 2014 for a $1.65 billion oil and gas claim
Leading member of The Lawyer Litigation Team of the Year 2014 for a $1.65 billion oil and gas claim
“Nick is an extremely good litigation strategist, has an agile mind and is supremely effective at batting away opponent solicitors’ correspondence.” The Legal 500
Nick qualified as a solicitor in 2003. Prior to joining Keystone Law, he worked at the following firms:
- Blaser Mills
- Greenwoods GRM
- Memery Crystal
- McGrigors (now part of Pinsent Masons)
- SJ Berwin