Nilam is a dual US- and UK-qualified insurance and reinsurance expert. Specialising in directors and officers, financial lines, and professional negligence, with an emphasis on those professionals advising on financial transactions, she is one of very few lawyers outside of the US with expertise in this area.
With an international client base spanning Europe, the US, Asia and Bermuda, Nilam advises insurers and their clients on policy coverage and the strategy of responding to a multi-jurisdictional regulatory investigation. In addition, she provides counsel on corporate governance issues and financial transactions and related regulatory investigations.
Alongside her contentious practice, Nilam has an impressive portfolio of non-contentious work, including drafting policy wordings and assisting clients in detecting key risk issues. She is also a regular speaker at leading industry events.
- Insurance and reinsurance
- Cross-jurisdictional regulatory matters
- Corporate governance matters
- Financial transactions
- Drafting and reviewing policy wordings including Directors and Officers/Financial Institutions and Professional Indemnity and localising international policy wordings for the UK market
- Advising UK, US and Bermudan D&O/FI insurers on policy coverage issues arising from the subprime mortgage crises
- Advising UK, US and South American Fidelity insurers on policy coverage issues arising from theft of bank monies by a number of employees
- Acting as coverage and global strategy counsel to Canadian, US, European and Indian D&O reinsurers in respect of a regulatory investigation of a high-profile Indian IT company (India’s Enron)
- Advising European D&O insurers on FCPA and SFO allegations in respect of a UK defence company
- Advising US D&O insurers in respect of a failed insolvency of a high-profile German media company
- Advising the board of a FTSE-listed environmental company on risk mitigation issues arising from an FCA investigation
- Acting as coverage and global strategy counsel on US court proceedings issued against a number of European companies for breach of US regulations
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recommended in Who’s Who Legal 2020 as a leading Insurance & Reinsurance lawyer
Recommended in Who’s Who Legal 2019 as a leading Insurance & Reinsurance lawyer
Recognised in the Legal 500 2018 for Commercial Litigation
Nilam Sharma is recognised by the Legal 500 2017 for Commercial Litigation and Insurance & Reinsurance Litigation.
“Keystone Law has ‘a high degree of legal expertise’ and is ‘able to work across borders in complex legal matters’. Recent arrival Nilam Sharma, who joined from Ince & Co, ‘works productively and collaboratively with the client, offering excellent support’” Legal 500 2016
Recognised as a leading insurance and Reinsurance practitioner in Who’s Who Legal 2016
Appointed as the Vice Chair for PODL (Professional Officers & Directors Liability Committee) of the Tort Insurance Practice Section of the American Bar Association (2015-2016)
Recognised as a leading insurance and Reinsurance practitioner in Who’s Who Legal 2015
European Editor and UK Author of the Global Directors and Officers Book which was published in October 2014
“The ‘astute’ Nilam Sharma … ” – Legal 500 2014
“Key individuals include the ‘excellent’ Nilam Sharma.” – Legal 500 2013
Nilam qualified as a solicitor in 1992. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2015, she worked at the following firms:
- Ince & Co
- Crowell & Moring
- Cameron Markby Hewitt