An accomplished regulatory life sciences expert, Paul has 30 years’ experience and expert knowledge of the regulatory, commercial, intellectual property, and product liability needs of the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and medical device sectors on an international and domestic scale. Clients have included leading pharmaceutical companies such as Smith Kline Beecham.
- Clinical development
- Marketing authorisation concerns
- Drug/device/cosmetic/food borderlines
- Market access
- Pricing and reimbursement issues including NICE hearings
- Promotional disputes
- Licensing/development agreements
- Product acquisitions/divestments
- Clinical development agreements
- Outsourcing of manufacturing/sales/logistics
- Acting for Antisoma in what was then the largest licensing biotech deal in the UK with Roche
- Acting in various appeals against adverse NICE decisions
- Five appearances before the PMCPA on promotional disputes
- Acting in 20 major product acquisitions for various clients
- Advising on various co-development agreements with biotechnology companies and big pharma including Apitope and Merck Serono
- Providing European regulatory support for multi-billion dollar/pound worldwide deals including for companies such as GE Healthcare and BTG
- Assisting in the handling of various high-profile product crises and product liability claims such as serotonin, antidepressants and various NSAIDs
- Overhauling the clinical development contracting structure for various multinationals
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised by Best Lawyers (UK) 2020 in the area of Life Sciences Law.
“At the ‘excellent’ Keystone Law, commercial and regulatory lawyer Paul Ransom joined from Pinsent Masons LLP in May 2015.“Legal 500 2016“Keystone Law made several hires in 2015, including life sciences expert Paul Ranson, who moved from Pinsent Masons LLP” Legal 500 2016
“Life sciences specialist Paul Ranson is esteemed for his skills on commercial transactions and also for his magisterial knowledge of the regulatory environment affecting companies in the sector.” Chambers UK 2015
“Paul Ranson focuses his practice on regulatory matters for a variety of pharmaceutical and biotech firms. He recently advised Alliance Pharma on its acquisition of Opus Group Holdings.” Chambers UK 2014
Paul was also ranked as one of Super Lawyer’s top rated solicitors.
Paul qualified as a solicitor in 1986 and as a barrister in 1975. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2015, he worked at the following firms:
- Pinsent Masons
- Fasken Martineau
- Simmons & Simmons