Peter is a consultant in the construction and projects team. He has over 3 decades of experience of advising on projects and resolving disputes in the UK and internationally. His advisory work has included assisting governments and government entities, local authorities, lenders, consortia and concession companies, developers, engineers and contractors. He has extensive knowledge of the principal sectors engaged with the construction industry, and a close understanding of the forms of contracts (and related legal materials) it uses, their structure and how they function in allocating risk.
Peter regularly presents seminars on construction law, and has contributed many articles to industry publications.
- Advising on an extensive range of construction projects, both from the outset in terms of structuring, tendering, bespoke contract drafting and negotiation, as well in the later and final stages in the resolution and settlement of disputes
- Advising on disputes involving delay, loss and expense, defects, damages and payment, and the termination of construction contracts. Devising strategies for resolving disputes by negotiation and mediation.
- Advising clients on bringing, defending and settling disputes before arbitrators under (amongst others ) LCIA, HKIAC and UNCITRAL rules and the courts in England & Wales, Hong Kong and other jurisdictions including Indonesia and Switzerland.
- Acting for contractors, consultants and owners in adjudications in the UK.
- Acting for clients in investigations and prosecutions by the Health & Safety Executive involving serious accidents on construction sites.
- Asset recovery on projects affected by insolvency of the main contractor and/or other major parties.
- Drafting and negotiating construction contracts in connection with the financing of PFI and other public sector schemes and in connection with commercial development.
- Advising contracting authorities and tenderers on issues related to public procurement and the application of the Public Contracts Regulations 2015. Acting for clients in claims arising from breaches of the Regulations.
Construction disputes – contentious
- Acting for a party to a procurement challenge in the TCC involving breaches of the Public Contracts Regulations 2015 concerning the award of a contract for the disposal of nuclear waste.
- Recovering damages for an institutional investor suing under a collateral warranty in a claim for the defective design and construction of the floor slab of a large factory building.
- Representing clients in several adjudications concerning social housing schemes, construction contracts for mixed commercial developments, renewable energy projects, and civil engineering.
- Successfully representing a consulting engineer in an investigation by the health and safety executive into a fatal accident at a Ministry of Defence construction site.
- Claiming damages on behalf of the owner of an office building for defects in the design and installation of the air conditioning system.
- Conducting a five-party mediation over three days involving a major design fault in the construction of a new university campus.
- Successfully representing a hotel owner in an LCIA arbitration involving claims for additional payment and defective work related to a resort development in Saint Lucia, and in the subsequent appeal against the award.
- Advising a UK contractor on claims for extensions of time and additional payment arising from design changes in a hotel project in Cairo, Egypt.
- Advising an international contractor on several disputes with subcontractors of the building of a TV studio outside Cairo.
- Advising a UK/Egyptian joint-venture on a long running dispute concerning the cost of the construction of the El Gezira Nile Hotel in Cairo.
- Acting for the Swiss supplier and designer of a food manufacturing facility in a claim for defective design and installation of the mechanical plant.
- Acting for a US multi national in relation to the termination of a contract to build a factory in Indonesia. Working with local lawyers and advising on court proceedings in Jakarta and bringing a claim under a performance bond issued by a bank in Hong Kong.
- Acting for a Japanese main contractor in several disputes about the construction of the Tuen Mun Hospital, Hong Kong.
- Acting for a large Hong Kong contractor in an arbitration against the Hong Kong Bank related to the construction of a large office development in Kowloon.
- Acting for a Dutch joint-venture in an arbitration involving claims for additional payment and loss and expense under a contract for the construction of a power station in the Bahamas.
- Acting for a UK/German consortium involved in a rural electrification scheme in Nigeria in claims brought by an equipment supplier.
- Advising a Japanese contractor on claims relating to a major accident and fire in the construction of a power station in South Africa.
- Acting for a UK contractor seeking injunctive relief to restrain the calling and paying out on a performance bond related to a housing development in Libya.
- Acting for a UK piling contractor in a claim against a Swiss main contractor for delay and disruption, variations and non payment on a highways scheme in Abu Dhabi.
Transactional work – Non contentious.
- Advising lenders on, structuring and negotiating construction security documentation for the financing of several large schemes in the UK including a large residential development on Crown land in London, five student accommodation projects, two care homes, and four social housing schemes.
- Assisting the owners and developers of a specialist private hospital in West London to develop a suite of contracts based on NEC 3 with a view to addressing specific legal and commercial issues affecting the project.
- Advising developers and investors on, drafting and negotiating development and construction contracts based on the JCT Design & Build form, consultant appointments, collateral warranties, performance bonds and guarantees for commercial and mixed use schemes throughout the UK including retail, offices, hotels and housing.
- Advising on transport infrastructure schemes in London and on projects to improve and modernise ticketing on London’s transport, and to extend the congestion charge zone. Drafting agreements for the funding of a transport interchange scheme, and for the construction of road bridges over existing railway lines.
- Acting for public authorities, contractors, concession companies and lenders on several PFI schemes in the UK, including Hospitals, light rail projects, schools, leisure centres, government buildings, and housing, advising on and negotiating project agreements, construction and FM agreements, direct agreements with lenders. Advising project companies and lenders on variations to PFI schemes.
- Acting for a joint venture contractor in negotiating an EPC contract (based on the FIDIC Silver book), guarantee documentation, and subcontracts for the design and construction of an LNG unloading facility and regasification plant at Dabhol India.
- Advising the Hong Kong Trade Development Council on drafting contract documentation for the development design and construction of the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre.
- Advising several construction joint ventures on contract conditions, drafting subcontracts and contractual disputes on infrastructure projects related to the airport development in Hong Kong, including the airport island reclamation project, the Tsing Ma Bridge and the Western Harbour Tunnel.
- Advising the concession company and project management team on contractual issues and the development of contract documents (based on the FIDIC red book) for the North/South highway project in Malaysia.
- Drafting and negotiating the contract for the design and construction of a hazardous waste incineration plant in Ellesmere Port (UK) based on the MF/1 contract conditions.
- Working as part of a team of lawyers advising Eurotunnel in the preparation and negotiation of contracts for the construction of the Channel Tunnel.
- Acting for developers in renewable energy schemes particular anaerobic digestion, and advising on construction documents, off-take, financing, and land issues.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Admitted in England and Wales and in Hong Kong.
Member of Society of Construction Law.
Lectured in construction law at the University of Hong Kong
Authored articles in International Construction Law Review, Procurement Journal and Building.
Contributing author to Lexis Nexis PSL Construction.
Established and developed Penningtons Manches’ construction law practice 2005– 2015.
Peter qualified as a solicitor in 1981. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2015, he worked at the following firms:
- Penningtons Manches
- Denton Hall
- CMS Cameron McKenna