Richard is a partner in the family team. He provides advice on all family law issues and prides himself on his technical expertise, practical thinking and approachable manner. He was recognised as a Rising Star by The Legal 500 directory for Family (2023–2024).
Richard has particular specialism in advising clients with complex and high-value financial claims on divorce, and financial disputes between unmarried couples. He regularly advises on nuptial agreements and cohabitant disputes. He has previously been involved in litigation involving family business valuations, cases involving trusts and other commercial/corporate structures, and disputes with an international dimension.
Richard regularly acts for entrepreneurs, high-net-worth individuals and professionals. He has previously worked on a number of high-profile cases for actors, celebrities, sportsmen and sportswomen.
Richard made an ideal lawyer for my situation, managing to avoid litigation in high court while brokering a very fair settlement in just over a year during the pandemic. He operated as an anchor around major acrimonious divorce turbulence, and was skilful at getting up to speed with complex finances quickly.
Your support and your humanity in such a terrible time has been invaluable.
I am very relieved and grateful for your advice and support over the past year. It’s been quite a journey.
You have both come up with ideas but you have also taken a commercial approach - always balancing cost and advantage.
Thank you to all of you for your hard work, support, advice, and legal expertise the last few months to help me get through the financial proceedings.
I certainly felt confident I had the right team representing me when we entered into the courtroom.
- Financial claims arising on divorce
- Pre-nuptial and post-nuptial agreements
- Financial disputes between unmarried couples
- Cohabitation claims
- Variation of existing financial agreements
- Freezing orders
- Applications to enforce previous settlements
- Acted for a wife whose husband had a multi-million-pound shareholding in an unquoted company. The case involved material non-disclosure of assets by the husband and significant interests held in trust. The trial was heard at the High Court of Justice in London.
- Assisted with private children matters including a £260m Schedule 1 variation application (financial remedies proceedings relating to unmarried couples) at the Central Family Court in London. The matter settled with a favourable outcome to the client before trial, thus limiting costs.
- Prepared for and attended private financial dispute resolution hearings before leading counsel on multiple occasions. One case involved acting for a wife whose husband had interests in trusts exceeding £250m. This matter settled shortly after the private court hearing.
- Acted for a successful businesswoman in divorce and obtained a favourable financial outcome for her and protecting her business interests.
- Acted for a mother on a Schedule 1 application (financial proceedings relating to unmarried couples on behalf of a child) against a former Olympian and internationally renowned sportsman. The case settled by consent on the first day of trial.
- Represented a mother in a case against a former Premier League footballer with assets worth £10m. Achieved a favourable financial settlement for the mother at a private court hearing.
- Represented individuals with public profiles including musicians, social media influencers, celebrities, professional sportsmen and sportswomen on a wide variety of family law matters including cohabitation agreements, nuptial agreements and financial entitlements following separation.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised by The Legal 500 for Family (2023-2024)
”Richard Abrahams is brilliant. Richard is a rising star – young and energetic and a huge hit with clients, who love his approachable, straight talking style.” The Legal 500 2023
Richard qualified as a solicitor in 2013. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2017, he worked at CH-R Family Solicitors.