Richard has advised numerous pubs, off-licences, nightclubs, hotels, conference centres, restaurants and Belfast’s only licensed dog racing track in all aspects of the businesses right from and including conception or acquisition to opening and well beyond. He acts for smaller independent operators as well as for larger chains, and regularly appears before Licensing Courts, carrying out all his own advocacy where possible. Richard also advises in the wider leisure sector where he acts for adrenaline-fuelled indoor adventure centres and a local cinema chain, among others.
- All aspects of intoxicating liquor licensing in NI with particular emphasis on pubs, restaurants, conference centres and hotels
- Disposal and acquisition of licensed premises including by way of share sale
- Litigation relating to licensed premises
- Tied house and trade agreements relating to licensed premises
- Alterations to licensed premises
- Entertainment licensing for pubs and nightclubs
- Commercial contracts
- Advised in the acquisition, redevelopment and or sale of several of Belfast’s most high-profile pubs over the last 10 years.
- Advised on various applications to Belfast City Council dealing with refusal of variation or renewal of entertainment licences for pubs and nightclubs.
- Advised on the successful grant of occasional liquor licence for large outdoor musical concert.
- Successfully objected to the grant of a liquor licence in Belfast to a large national chain on behalf of an independent local pub.
- Advised in respect of the only indoor skydiving business to operate on the island of Ireland.
- Advised a restaurant chain who grew from 2 premises to 19 within a few years.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised by The Legal 500 2022 for Corporate M&A
Richard qualified as a solicitor in 1998. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2019, he worked at the following firms:
- Joseph Donnelly & Co Solicitors
- CQ Solicitors
- Jones and Co Solicitors
- Kennan Solicitors