Richard is a specialist gambling, licensing and regulatory lawyer with key expertise in remote and land-based gambling. He works with a range of gambling clients from start-ups to multinational gambling operators, including casinos, betting shops, online gambling platforms and software developers. Richard advises on operating licences, the risks of operating in international markets, defending licence reviews, AML and social responsibility and the approval of print and web marketing campaigns.
Another specialisation of Richard’s is liquor licensing, where he acts for pubs, nightclubs, bars, supermarkets and hotel chains nationally (including Scotland). He regularly appears before Licensing Committees and Magistrates’ Courts, and advises on real estate contracts for leisure operators, which are conditional on the grant of licensing and planning.
Richard’s regulatory work involves acting for leisure and retail clients defending health and safety, food safety and product safety prosecutions. He also advises on street trading, taxi and firearms licensing.
- Alcohol licensing
- Licensing of pubs, bars, nightclubs, hotels and restaurants
- Taxi licensing
- Firearms licensing
- Street trading
- Health and safety, food safety and product safety
- Acted for a multinational land-based and remote gambling operator in relation to an operating licence review brought by the Gambling Commission which involved betting integrity and self-exclusion failures.
- Advised a listed remote gambling operator on the change of corporate control applications required as a result of its acquisition by a UK PLC.
- Advised a remote casino operator on compliance assessment and licence review relating to anti-money laundering and social responsibility failings.
- Acted for a lottery betting operator on the judicial review of Government legislation making it unlawful to offer bets on the outcome of Euromillions draws.
- Advice to operators of prize competitions, free draws, product promotions and social gaming products, including drafting promotional terms and conditions.
- Written advice to remote casino and betting operators on the civil, criminal and financial risks of operating in grey and black markets.
- Advice on international licensing post-Brexit, including obtaining licences and recognition notices within the EU.
- Retained by a number of gambling operators to advise on TV, radio and print marketing material to ensure compliance with BCAP/CAP Codes, LCCP, industry codes and general consumer law.
- Advised a number of football clubs about stadia licensing, including provision for outdoor music events.
- Advised on the licensing of the National Speedway Stadium in Manchester.
- Licensed over 300 sites in England, Wales and Scotland for off-sales for a national retailer.
- Advised on the licensing of large outdoor Festival No. 6 in Portmeirion, Wales, despite significant residential opposition.
- Retained by a regional police force to provide advice and advocacy relating to Premises Licence reviews due to crime and disorder concerns.
- Instructed by a regional police force to apply for an Early Morning Restriction Order (EMRO) in Blackpool.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised by Chambers UK (2021-2024) for Gaming
“Richard is someone you can always rely on and you know he’s always going to give you the right advice.” Chambers UK 2024
“Richard is generous with his time and a pleasure to work with.” Chambers UK 2024
Recognised in The Legal 500 for Gaming and Betting (2020-2024)
“He pays keen attention to our commercial needs when delivering his advice, which is fantastic.” Chambers UK 2023
“Richard Williams has a strong network of experts and comes with a problem-solving mindset.” Chambers UK 2023
“Richard Williams is not only a very reliable person, but someone that constantly gives advice without charging. There is a reason why he has so many clients. Always a helpful and a great person to be around too. I cannot stress enough how much of an expert he is in the gambling field.” The Legal 500 2023
“Richard Williams is an expert in gambling-related matters. He is not only knowledgeable but understanding of our business, and tailors that knowledge to ensure we are getting the best outcome.” The Legal 500 2022
“Richard is a great communicator and his passion for the industry shines through.” Chambers UK 2021
“I was very impressed with Richard, in terms of his industry knowledge and response times.” Chambers UK 2021
“Richard Williams has been exceptional in advising and helping us launch a business in an industry that we were not that familiar with.” The Legal 500 2021
Clients endorse Richard Williams ‘s practical approach as well as his “good command of the UK gambling laws.” He predominantly acts for significant betting operators on both contentious and non-contentious matters. Another client adds: “Richard has great attention to detail from a legal perspective.” Chambers UK 2020
Recognised in the Legal 500 2020 for Licensing
Holder of the International Compliance Association “Specialist Certificate in Money Laundering Risk in Betting and Gaming”
Recommended in The Legal 500 2018 for Gambling and Licensing
“Richard Williams is a qualified solicitor advocate and regularly represents clients across the country. He attracts praise from sources who note that he is a great licensing lawyer with a strong market presence” Chambers & Partners 2015
Richard qualified as a solicitor in 1996. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2019, he worked at the following firms: