Robert is an intellectual property law specialist solicitor. In addition to his music and media expertise gained whilst in private practice, Robert acted as General Counsel for a number of a years for a mobile phone manufacturer. He then spent a further two years working for TomTom as their IP Counsel. His clients range in size from start-up entrepreneurs to multinational companies.
As a start-up business, Shopcade needs very pragmatic legal advice. We value the fact that Robert and Ros are extremely switched on with regards to our business, responsive and proactive. In a way, Keystone has been acting as a partner for Shopcade, evolving its approach with our growth while managing to be value-oriented.
Nathalie Gaveau, Founder
We chose Keystone Law to support us with our intellectual property strategy and our corporate acquisitions because of their excellent reputation and their pragmatic approach. From start to finish Keystone Law delivered us with an excellent personal service, and the corporate transaction was completed on time and to the satisfaction of all parties. I would have no hesitation in recommending Keystone for this type of transaction.
Andrew Firth, Chief Executive
- Licensing of intellectual property rights, including patents, trademarks, designs, copyright and know-how/trade secrets
- Licensing of standards essential patents (SEPs) for telecommunications standards such 3G, 4G, 5G and Wi-Fi under FRAND (fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory) IPR policies
- Providing advice on the creation, execution and implementation of Intellectual Property strategies, with a view to protecting intellectual property assets and maximising their value
- Providing commercial and practical advice to technology companies, from sole entrepreneurs and start-up’s to SME’s to larger businesses
- Advised phone manufacturers, consumer electronics companies, and Internet of Things (IoT) innovators on licensing of standards essential patents (SEPs) under FRAND (fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory) IPR policies.
- Advice on warranties and indemnities issues in telecoms supply chains; advice to banks and investors on licensing issues in telecoms investments
- Advised a leading patent licensing programme in the field of 3G W-CDMA technology on contractual and licensing matters and potential litigation.
- Creating and implementing IP strategies for telecoms manufacturers.
- Advised restaurant technology business on its outbound licensing programme.
- Advised franchisor on licensing of its brand to hotel and residential sector.
- Advised restaurant chains on global branding and trademark registration strategies.
- Licensing in of multiple high street brands for an eyewear business.
- Managed a complex multi-jurisdictional patent dispute which included patent infringement claims in multiple jurisdictions (US, NL, UK).
- Litigated and successfully negotiated settlement of claims in the USA for IPR infringement, trade secret theft, fraud and breach of contract.
- Acquisitions of patent and IP portfolios.
- Sale of IP portfolio, and transfer of employees under TUPE, from a company planning to go into administration.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Winner of the award for Copyright Impact Case of the Year 2019 (Kogan v Martin) at the Managing IP Awards
Recognised by IAM 300 as a World Leading IP Strategist for 2018
Robert qualified as a solicitor in 1989. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2007, he worked at the following firms:
- Sendo Holdings
- Gentle Jayes