Robert has 40 years’ experience as a corporate advisor and financial services regulatory lawyer. He acts for a wide range of businesses mostly related to the insurance and financial advice industries.
Robert has highly extensive knowledge of corporate and financial services regulation for mutual insurers, IFAs, networks and the wealth management industry generally. He works exclusively for the industry and not against it. His advice is pragmatic and is tuned to the commercial outcome required. He has a particular interest in corporate governance issues.
Robert’s principal activities are the acquisition and disposal of all forms of financial advice companies, including advice on corporate and regulatory governance, including board reviews.
He is a member of the Association of Professional Compliance Consultants and an associate of the Association of Financial Mutuals.
Robert co-founded ADR Group in 1989 as the first provider of commercial mediation services and training in the UK and Europe. He is also a recently retired Army Reserve officer.
To receive Robert’s financial services newsletter, or the Keystone monthly round up, please click here.
- Sale and purchase of IFA businesses
- Transfers of Engagements for mutual insurers
- Part VII transfers of insurance business
- Corporate governance for FCA regulated businesses
- Regulatory conduct under PRA or FCA rules
- Liability limitation for retail financial advisers and wealth managers
- Commercial contracts for the distribution and promotion of financial services products
- Investigations and disciplinary enforcement cases
- Independent Board reports for regulatory purposes
- Corporate acquisitions and disposals for private companies
- Distribution and commercial agreements for wealth managers/funds
- Rules for Friendly Societies and mutual insurers
- Conducting the first-ever Part VII transfer under FISMA
- Merging and combined mutual insurers’ books of business
- Negotiating a large investment into a financial services distribution company
- Restructuring a large IFA to protect the business from possible claims
- Advising numerous friendly societies on their Memorandum and Rules
- Advising mutual insurers on the incorporation process
- Advising on the set-up of new schemes to acquire books of business for consolidators
- Providing varied and detailed regulatory advice in relation to most aspects of the PRA and FCA Handbook
- Carrying out an independent report for a board in relation to whistleblowing issues
- Preparing reports on corporate governance and remuneration issues including designing remuneration schemes
- Drafting documentation for fund managers to distribute their funds
- Advising corporate clients on shareholder issues ,corporate governance and restructures
- Representing a national network in the sale of its business
- Acting for a national discretionary wealth manager in taking over other IFAs and funds under management
- Acting for IFAs in the sale of their businesses
- Overseeing the rationalisation of a large commercial property investment portfolio over several years
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Co-founded mediation in the UK and Europe in the commercial field
Associate of the Association of Financial Mutuals
Member of AFM regulatory and governance committee
Member of the Association of Professional Compliance Consultants
“Punches well above his weight.” Chambers UK
Robert qualified as a solicitor in 1976. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2015, he worked at the following firms:
- Foot Antsey
- CMS Cameron McKenna
- Allen & Overy