Rupert advises on corporate and commercial law and is an expert in transactions involving mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and corporate finance. He has significant experience working on cross-border deals, including advising on investments into and from Africa. Rupert also advises on setting up investment structures and related incentives schemes. He also has significant general counsel-type experience in transaction and dispute management.
Clients include family offices, private equity investors, individuals, privately owned businesses and public companies.
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Joint ventures
- Corporate finance
- Cross-border investments
- Investment structures
- Advised on numerous direct investments by individuals and family offices in early-stage ventures and in established businesses.
- Advised a consortium of family offices on a debt and equity funded investment into a joint venture with a listed counterparty.
- Advised on the setting up of permanent capital vehicles and related incentive schemes.
- Advised a privately held company on a property development and investment joint venture with a listed company.
- Advised Tana Africa Capital and Plexus Investments on the $530 million sale of interests in the Promasidor group – a pan-African foods business – to Ajinomoto of Japan.
- Advised Stonehage on its merger (by way of scheme of arrangement) with Fleming Family & Partners to form Stonehage Fleming Family and Partners, the largest independent multi-family office in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
- Advised Mondi Group on its €365 million acquisition of Finnish company Powerflute Group Holdings Oy from Nordic Packaging and Container Holdings.
- Advised the Oppenheimer family office in relation to the $5.1 billion sale of interests in De Beers to Anglo American, as well as in relation to the $1 billion rights issue of De Beers and associated bank facilities two years previously.
- Advised Tana Africa Capital and Tana Africa Capital II (Africa-focused investment companies founded by the Oppenheimer family and Temasek) in relation to their establishment and incentives schemes and on a number of investments in the FMCG and education sectors in various African countries
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised in The Legal 500 UK 2020 recommended for Corporate and Commercial: M&A – mid-market
Recognised in The Legal 500 UK 2017 recommended for Corporate and Commercial: Private Equity mid-cap
Rupert qualified as a solicitor in 1990. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2022, he worked at the following firms:
- McDermott Will & Emery
- Maitland Advisory