Sharon specialises in a wide variety of litigation arising out of the healthcare sector. She advises on an array of medico-legal issues, including misdiagnosis of cancer, brain and spinal injuries, cosmetic, orthopaedic, and dental surgeries.
Sharon has extensive experience representing individual healthcare professionals and organisations in investigations conducted by the regulatory authorities, including the GMC, GDC, NMC and HCPC, as well as NHS England, Hospital Trusts, and the NHS Ombudsman. Her expertise also encompasses disciplinary cases, MHPS investigations, ARCP reviews, challenges in respect of the withdrawal of private practising privileges, criminal investigations and inquests.
- Clinical negligence
- Healthcare regulatory law and advisory work
- Healthcare-related crime
- Disciplinary hearings
- Successfully defended a Consultant General Surgeon at a Medical Practitioners Tribunal hearing in 2022. The case related to the care provided to a former patient, and included allegations relating to pre-operative assessments, the standard of the procedure itself, and his post-operative care. The Tribunal made a finding of no impairment, and no sanction was imposed.
- Successfully represented a Consultant Plastic Surgeon on a matter that involved both clinical and probity allegations, relating to the care provided to a former patient. Attended a Doctor’s Meeting with the GMC Case Examiner and the client and provided a detailed Rule 7 response to the allegations. This resulted in the GMC closing the case with advice at the Rule 8 stage.
- Represented a Consultant Obstetrician in an NHS Trust Maintaining High Professional Standards (MHPS) investigation where he faced allegations that he had dishonestly altered the patient’s medical records for his own purposes. The case was concluded with a final written warning.
- Acting on behalf of a Consultant Ear Nose and Throat Surgeon in a GMC investigation relating to complaints made by eight former patients in respect of rhinoplasty procedures, a number of which are also being pursued as clinical negligence claims.
- Representing a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon in a high-value contribution (Part 20) claim arising from the death of a patient following a total knee replacement.
- Represented the out-of-hours service provider in a high-value claim following the alleged delay in diagnosis and treatment of pneumococcal meningitis in a nine-month-old baby.
- Acted on behalf of a care provider in a criminal investigation into the death of a child patient who had a congenital condition which meant that he required continuous monitoring to maintain his airways whilst asleep. The patient passed away during a shift undertaken by the care provider’s nurse, who was separately investigated.
Recognised by The Legal 500 (2022-2023) for Clinical Negligence: Defendant
“Defendant ‘Sharon Buckham is someone who will always make herself available to discuss any issue, be it a complex matter or something less contentious. She’s dedicated to getting the best outcome for her clients – you’re never in doubt that she cares personally about those outcomes.” The Legal 500 2023
Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2022, Sharon worked at the following firms:
- Eastwoods Solicitors Limited