Simon is a commercial litigator who has for over 25 years specialised in the cost-effective resolution of complex, high-profile disputes which often incorporate an international element.
The music industry is a strange place to live and work in. It is very much a thick soup full of sharks and can feel so much like quick sand. You are and have been for us such a breath of fresh air. Your energy, commitment and passion have not for one second gone unnoticed and for this, Simon, I am extremely grateful. Thank you for believing and sharing with us the vision of a great thing. We will never forget you and what you have done.
Then of Vega 4, now of Snow Patrol and co-writer with Ed Sheeran, Robbie Williams and Pink
I have worked with Simon on a number of commercial legal matters since 2001. Simon has been a pleasure to work with, consistently meeting his commitments on a timely basis with cogent and, where necessary, pragmatic advice. Simon has the ability to see the issues from his clients perspective and use that insight to guide his clients.
Simon, provided a professional service with detailed insight in a complex topic, clearly and authoritively. No hesitation in recommending him.
Owner, The Thomas Partnership
I had cause to introduce Simon to a client friend in the media industry. When I say media, they are a celebrity. He took what was a fairly horrible situation for the client and turned it around completely, and the young lady in question could not be happier with the outcome at every level. Since Simon became involved, it has been a life changing experience for her (in the positive) and it is pretty much all down to the way Simon analysed the situation and orchestrated the best possible outcome. Based on the feedback I received personally, he clearly excels at what he does.
Nick M. Child
Managing Director, Secretariat International
- Commercial litigation
- Alternative dispute resolution
- Media and entertainment (particularly music)
- Intellectual property disputes
- Contentious probate and trusts
- Privy Council appeals
- Acted for the former managing director of a joint venture between a Greek hotelier and a sheikh including four-week Commercial Court trial involving €31m and advising on a related £8m arbitration.
- Acted for a BVI company which owns a £6m property in London included in a worldwide freezing injunction obtained in related proceedings in Cyprus.
- Acted for the former Managing Director of Whessoe Oil & Gas Limited and Cleveland Bridge (UK) Limited in relation to claims for over £50m after costs overruns on the construction of a liquefied natural gas (LNG) terminal in South Wales. Struck out £48m pre-trial. Case settled mid-trial.
- Acted for a leading UK architect in proceedings for the alleged wrongful exclusion of a third party from a £77m project in the Netherlands.
- Defended a claim by a London casino for payment of a £2m gambling debt incurred on one night of a period during which the client gambled £90m.
- Numerous mediations on behalf of clients since 1990, the vast majority of which settled at or shortly after the mediation.
- Appointed by The Musicians’ Union to mediate a dispute between members.
- Opposed the continuation of a Mareva injunction on behalf of the owner of four satellite television broadcasting channels unlawfully sequestrated by the client’s former business partner.
- Acted for a leading independent television production company in relation to its audit of the BBC.
- Advised a world famous author of criminal fiction in relation to a dispute with his former agent.
- Acted for the estate of a famous Spanish poet whose manuscript was being auctioned at Christies without the estate’s consent.
- Acted for an advertising agency in relation to a pan-European injunction obtained by a leading rock band for alleged copyright infringement on a Christmas campaign for a well-known jeans company.
- Acted for the Spanish sponsor of a leading Premiership football club.
- Acted for a leading Formula One racing driver in relation to a claim for infringement of his trade mark.
- Advised a leading football agent on his exit from a joint venture with a Dutch agency.
- Acted for a global mining company in relation to worldwide patent litigation against a leading Belgian competitor, including five-week High Court trial, £34m account of profits, two-week appeal to Court of Appeal and Petition to House of Lords.
- Acted for the manufacturer of impact wrenches used in the railway industry in relation to infringement of design right and passing off proceedings.
- Acted for a leading Parisian department store against a leading London department store in relation to a claim for copyright infringement in its Christmas window display.
- Acted for a leading clothes retailer in relation to a claim by a leading clothes retailer for copying its designs.
- Acted for a UK dating agency being sued for passing off by a rival US agency setting up in the UK.
- Acted for a leading Turkish white-goods manufacturer in a domain name dispute.
- Acted for a high-flying chartered accountant formerly employed by a major bank concerning a £12m loss-of-career claim due to sex discrimination. Also involved whistleblowing allegations.
- Obtained an interim injunction to restrain the breach of restrictive covenants by the former employee of a leading IT recruitment agency.
- Acted for a music industry executive who was dismissed after falling pregnant.
- Obtained a Mareva injunction on behalf of a member of a leading pop group after his financial adviser had made substantial secret profits on property transactions.
- Acted for the former director of a joint venture company after his co-director had conspired with a PLC to defraud him.
- Acted for a former partner in a firm of solicitors after the firm’s managing partner had defrauded him.
- Acted for a leading independent record label after its joint-venture partner appointed a receiver.
- Acted for the co-writer of a worldwide hit record after his company went into liquidation and he was declared bankrupt.
- Advised a leading West End nightclub in relation to restructuring and issues arising with HMRC in relation to the same.
- Acted for a leading rock band in the aftermath of the liquidation of its European operating company.
- Acted for the widow of a famous rock guitarist in a dispute with the deceased’s parents and sister who made allegations of undue influence.
- Advised the beneficiary of a famous film star’s will in relation to the executor’s exercise of discretion.
- Advised the beneficiary of a will where the testator bequeathed property in London and Lebanon and the testator’s siblings allege the testator lacked mental capacity.
- Advised the executors of a famous architect’s estate regarding attempts by the deceased’s siblings to appoint new executors.
- Advised the managing director of a leading futures broker in relation to his divorce.
- Advised a world-famous rock star in relation to his divorce.
- Advised a well-known classical musician in relation to his divorce.
- Advised the director of a Bahamian company in a $32m dispute with a Bahamian bank regarding a resort development.
- Acted for the Government of the British Virgin Islands in relation to an appeal to the Privy Council regarding duty allegedly payable on imported petroleum.
- Acted for the sole executrix of the deceased’s estate in circumstances giving rise to allegations of undue influence.
- Acted for the wife in ongoing proceedings involving the Matrimonial Causes Act and the Married Women’s Property Act over 17 years after the divorce.
- Glaverbel v British Coal Corporation  RPC 90,  RPC 443,  RPC 225
- Airtec v Bance  RPC 667
- Wainwright & Burton v FX Music Limited  EMLR 826
- Macdonald v Polaine  All ER (D) 132
- Hart v Relentless Records  FSR 36
- JD Wetherspoon Plc v Van De Berg & Co Limited  EWHC 1044 (Ch)
- Al-Zayat v Aspinall’s Club Limited  EWHC 362,  EWCA Civ 1001
- Whessoe Oil & Gas Limited & Anor v Dale  EWHC 1788 (TCC),  EWHC 2270 (TCC)
- Antigua Power Company Limited v The Attorney General of Antigua  UKPC 23
- Eutetra Bromfield v Vincent Bromfield  UKPC 19 (Jamaica)
- Alcide v Desir & Anor  UKPC 24 (St Lucia)
- Silver Point Condominium Apartments v Johann D Swart & Ors  UKPC 32 (Bahamas)
- Pinard-Byrne v Lennox Linton  UKPC 41 (Dominica)
- Commissioner of Customs v Delta Petroleum (Caribbean) Limited  UKPC 27 (BVI)
- NRC Holding Limited v Danilitskiy & Anor  EWHC 1431 (Ch)
- Sogexia SARL v R Raphael & Sons PLC  2577 (Ch)
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Simon qualified as a solicitor in 1991. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2018, he worked at the following firms:
- Simons Muirhead & Burton