Stephen is an experienced corporate lawyer with wide-reaching expertise in both corporate and commercial work. He specialises in listings on the London stock markets and acts for companies coming to all the major London exchanges. In particular, he acts for domestic and overseas companies coming to AIM and the standard segment of the Main Market of the London Stock Exchange.
As well as representing those coming to the market for the first time, Stephen advises companies and their executives on the ongoing requirements of being a public listed company, including the application of the Listing Rules and the Market Abuse Regulation. He is also the Company Secretary of a Main Market listed company and advises on the requirements of public M&A transactions and the application of the Takeover Code.
In addition, Stephen assists private companies and businesses in dealing with all aspects of company law as well as helping them with corporate restructuring, shareholder agreements, joint ventures, franchising arrangements, and establishing overseas offices and businesses. He represents clients undertaking all kinds of private M&A transactions and advises on private equity investments.
He began his career as a banking and insolvency lawyer and has significant experience in finance work. Primarily, he represents corporate clients negotiating banking and debt facilities.
Stephen holds the ICAEW Corporate Finance Qualification.
- Company law
- Corporate finance
- Public company listings
- Public and private mergers & acquisitions
- Joint ventures
- Private equity investment and venture capital
- Acted for Anglo African Agriculture plc from its formation and IPO to its successful move to the Main Market of the London Stock Exchange
- Acted for a Canadian oil and gas company on its proposed listing on the Main Market of the London Stock Exchange
- Advised the major shareholders of Integrated Asset Management plc on its Takeover Code-governed acquisition
- Acted for a public company on its acquisition of a UK stockbroker
- Acted for Zeus Capital as Nomad for New Trend Lifestyle plc on its IPO and admission to AIM
- Devised the capital reduction scheme for IPSO Ventures plc on its successful demerger
- Acted for a US hedge fund in its capacity as an activist shareholder of a UK listed company
- Acted for Zeus Capital as Nomad for Venn Life Sciences plc on a reverse takeover and fundraising
- Advised CV Capital, the corporate finance arm of Chantrey Vellacott (now part of Moore Stephens), as Rule 24 adviser on a public offer
- Acted for HR GO plc on a court-sanctioned reduction of capital and a series of share buy-backs
- Acted for multinational pharmaceutical company Merck Serono on the disposal of its UK subsidiary Bourn Hall Limited
- Acted for Nordic Panorama plc on a Takeover Code-governed offer
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Nominated as PLUS legal adviser of the year
Stephen qualified as a solicitor in 1984. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2017, he worked at the following firms:
- Moore Blatch
- DMH Stallard
- Campbell Hooper
- Titmuss Sainer Dechert