Suzy is an intellectual property, technology and commercial contracts specialist who acts for clients across a range of industries including retail, finance, FMCG, technology, advertising, manufacturing, gaming and fashion. Suzy is also a disputes lawyer, and has represented clients in the English High Court, before trade mark registries and through alternative methods such as mediation. Suzy can advise on matters such as pre-litigation strategy, termination of contract options, and settlement terms.
Previously Acting Head of Legal of the Northern European legal team of multinational FMCG manufacturer, Reckitt Benckiser, Suzy engages effectively with business stakeholders and assesses legal issues in a commercial context.
A qualified Australian lawyer since 2002, Suzy is uniquely placed to support her clients with Australian-law needs, engaged in this capacity via Keypoint Law.
Suzy is a pleasure to work with. She is highly commercial in her approach and provides thoughtful, pragmatic and timely legal advice.
EMEA Head of Technology and IP Law
Top tier global investment bank
Suzy provides excellent legal support, with a personable and clear-headed approach. She quickly gets up to speed with legal issues and has an eye to commercial objectives and strategic matters when giving her advice. I am happy to recommend her as a legal advisor.
Steve Troote, SVP Northern Europe and Australia/New Zealand
Reckitt Benckiser UK
- Manufacturing, distribution and supplier contracts
- Terms of supply of goods and services/consultancy contracts
- Non-disclosure agreements
- English High Court
- Trade mark registries
- Alternative dispute resolution (ADR)
- Trade mark portfolio strategy and registration
- IP infringement actions
- Copyright licensing disputes
- Commercialisation of IP, trade mark and patent licences
- Digital copyright matters
- Patent freedom to market searches
- Misuse of confidential information
- Domain name recovery
- Application of ASA codes
- Social media marketing law
- Regulation of comparative advertising
- Software development and licensing
- Reseller agreements, e-retailer terms and liability
- Social media law
- Negotiated and drafted commercial contracts on behalf of RB.
- Advised an online marketplace on its B2C terms and liability for supplier default.
- Prepared online B2C supply terms for a successful technology company.
- Prepared venue hire and services agreements for a global FMCG and media brand.
- Litigated on behalf of a company against its ex-employee, involving misuse of confidential information and passing off.
- Managed a complex international investigation into defamatory statements and the misuse of confidential business data by an ex-employee.
- Provided copyright law advice to a media content owner relating to online publication of film content and the fair dealing defence.
- Acted in brand cease-and-desist actions on behalf of an established online retailer including domain name recovery.
- Advised luxury fashion brands regarding the protection of their IP including representing them in trade mark opposition proceedings.
- Provided strategic cross-border trade mark registration advice for well-known brands.
- Advised a financial services technology company on intellectual property rights in its software and data products.
- Assisted an innovative software company to identify, capture and protect their inventions, including advising on patenting strategy.
- Evaluated and advised RB’s (formerly Reckitt Benckiser) UK business’ on the legal issues arising out of the Petya cyber-attack in June 2017, including force majeure/suspension of performance and claims from retailers for lost profits/failed deliveries.
- Prepared software development contracts for a leading technology company.
- Acted for a multinational software provider to enforce its software licensing terms and recover damages relating to unpaid licence fees.
- Provided senior legal resource for the RB’s (formerly Reckitt Benckiser) UK business’ in-house legal team.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised in the Legal 500 2018 for Commercial Contracts
Suzy is recognised by The Legal 500 2017 for her expertise in relation to Commercial Contracts and Brand Management
Suzy is a qualified solicitor in England, Australia (Victoria) and New Zealand
Suzy holds a postgraduate diploma in Intellectual Property Law & Practice obtained from Bristol University in 2007, the leading qualification for UK IP lawyers
Suzy qualified as a solicitor in 2002. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2016, she worked at the following firms:
- Kemp Little
- Speechly Bircham