Tim is an employment lawyer with more than 30 years’ experience and provides expert advice to corporates, institutions and individuals. He is particularly experienced in the education (particularly Higher), charities, financial services, technology and life science sectors.
Tim’s advisory work includes everything from trade union recognition to reorganisations and TUPE-related issues. Further to this, he is also an expert in resolving employment disputes relating to restrictive covenants, confidential information and industrial action.
Many of the cases Tim advises on are of an international nature and require knowledge of other European jurisdictions.
In addition to his employment law practice, Tim deals with student disciplinary/fitness to practise matters in Higher Education.
- Trade union recognition
- Employment disputes
- Restrictive covenants
- Disciplinary action
- Discrimination claims
- Contract reviews and appointments
- Interaction of academic statutes/regulations and employment law
- Advised the Director General of an international charity on harassment allegations and termination of employment.
- Advised a leading charity in respect of alleged disciplinary offences by a trustee.
- Advised a leading charity in relation to an allegedly discriminatory recruitment campaign.
- Advised a leading international charity in relation to whistleblowing claims made in external jurisdictions (US and Middle East).
- Advised a senior charity executive in a whistleblowing claim.
- Advised a leading charity on an Employment Tribunal claim involving recruitment/service provision.
- Advised a conglomerate of Cambridge Colleges on equality in admission policies involving judicial review.
- Advised a university professor in a whistleblowing claim.
- Advised a Cambridge College on employment and regulatory (statutes and ordinances) aspects of the removal of a senior office holder.
- Advised an Oxford College on the revision of its statutes and bylaws.
- Advised an Oxford College on disciplinary proceedings against a senior office holder and the validity of its investigation.
- Advised a Cambridge University office holder on termination arrangements.
- Advised a leading university in relation to a whistleblowing claim against a senior financial officer.
- Advised the Head of Research in an age and disability discrimination claim against a leading university.
- Advised an independent school on employment issues arising from police investigation into historic issues.
- Advised a banker on a transfer from a US to a European bank with consideration of deferred compensation and FCA issues.
- Drafted and implemented a range of contractual and handbook material for a financial services firm.
- Advised a banker on their contested departure from a Chinese bank involving restrictive covenants and FCA issues.
- Advised a financial services firm on a whistleblowing claim.
- Advised an IFA in connection with age discrimination and whistleblowing claims.
- Advised a successful claimant broadcast journalist in a leading case (High Court authority on competitive activity, Court of Appeal authority on a director’s liability for costs).
- Advised a Fortune 100 sports goods company on European reorganisation and the disciplinary investigation of the Finance Director.
- Advised a US-based consulting company on the removal of UK executive directors and the subsequent sale of the UK subsidiary to a French pan-European consultancy.
- Advised an Australian-based logistics company on all employment matters.
- Advised a Yorkshire-based bus company on all employment matters.
- Advised a UK-based local media company on all employment matters and subsequent acquisition.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised by The Legal 500 2024 for Employment
Tim has been recognised as a leader in his field in both Chambers and The Legal 500 since 1998.
Tim qualified as a solicitor in 1988. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2021, he worked at the following firms:
- Stone King
- Penningtons Manches
- Charles Russell